Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
What is wrong with people
ohh this is Hamilton lets mark it on the plate
so I will not forget

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
The worst kind of graffiti. Contrasting with the more-stylish-than-usual private label.
A shame.

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Especially on a 15J Hamilton 928. Only 4997 total ever made!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
perhaps only one with hand engrave HAM on it.

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
H A M stands for Harold A. Morgenstern. He was the master engraver at Hamilton from 1879 - 1921 and was well known for emulating the home-engraving styles of the common man. For this novel work, he used only a sharpened screwdriver. ...pretty convincing I'd say! Some other work of his that I've seen included "Jake" "21 jewels" and "9 positions", all engraved on 7 jewel movements. In the pictured example, Harold scratched his own initials which makes this watch exceedingly rare and valuable! After Harold retired, Another master engraver named Alvin S. Stienblatt took his place. His work can be recognized easily as he used the more modern electric buzzing engraver. Known examples include "safety barrel" "Leonard C., Ithaca, NY" and "temp"

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Exceedingly rare and valuable?

Sorry, but this reminds me of the way some animals mark their turf Razz it is hard to accept that a so-called "master engraver" Roll Eyes would desecrate what is otherwise a work of art, rather than artfully initial the case-back. But perhaps Smile William is making a joke Big Grin about all this at our expense.

Fortunately the immediate successor's initials Eek would not lend themselves to such foolishness.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
Very funny William! Brightened up my morning though it is a shame to see the damage that had been done.
Was probably done by a previous owner many years ago who had no idea that any one would someday want to add that watch to their "collection". One hundred years ago only the very wealthy could afford to "collect" much of anything you couldn't find on the ground (arrowheads, horse shoes, old coins etc), so aren't we lucky to live in a time where we can have many fine examples of these mechanical wonders!!

Mike

Posts: 206 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Donald,

You're right! You guessed right! I was attempting to make a joke! ...the fool that I am. After all, what's done is done, right? ..and I don't feel that this unfortunate situation rises to the level of honoring the dead. Now if only someone could find the other 15J Hamilton 928 bearing the name "Milton", handily engraved in the same manner, then we would have something exceedingly rare and valuable! A matched set worth millions!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
That was pretty inventive, Will.
You have a brilliantly twisted mind.
Smile

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
posted
William - A joke that is the product of a lively imagination - the damage is already done by someone unknown and probably can't be reversed - so may your gifted utterings become part of the provenance of this disgraced piece.

Milton who???

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
posted
No telling what people are thinking! I have a rare railroad watch co movement (only 200 made) that someone marked 17 jewels (it only has 16).

serial # 20926 , fortunately I have a near perfect example in my collection. # 20969

Hardly think the owner would believe he was enhancing the watch by overstating the jewel count in such a clumsy manner.

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Joe,

Ham - Milton, that's who.

William

posted
William - Dumb me.

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
Picture of Clark Reed
posted
OK you guys - Now who is gonna help me clean up this keyboard and monitor that I just could not hold the mouthful of mac and cheese ??

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
posted
email me the keyboard and I will clean it for ya.
believe it or not the watch been sold !

IHC Life Member
posted
Clark, try Huggies baby wipes for the keyboard and monitor. They'll cut through anything on the menu that you can spit out!

William

Picture of Clark Reed
posted
Peter and William - Thanks for the good advice on the cleanup ! Hope I find something else today that is hilarious enough that makes me lose control. A guy needs a good laugh, but preferably not the explosive kind. Cheers -

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
posted
Question to Bill Kapp. Tell us a bit about your watch 20926. I tried looking that serial number up thinking it was a Hamilton, but that serial number shows as a 999 ball. I'm thinking a 936 recieved that number instead? What info do you have on the watch?
Thanks

Posts: 20 | Location: Diamond, Washington in the USA | Registered: February 26, 2015
posted
Charles

Using the search function you can find a lot of info on the railroad watch co. I also have 20969 and 90179 which you can use the search function of view.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...rum_scope=2121060351

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Peter.
Welcome to the good old USA.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011