Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case Markings 14K ??? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Has anyone seen this marking before on a case. It appears to test as gold but I am hesitant because of the way it is marked and wonder if my acid is outdated.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Rob this is the Pennsylvania Watch Case Company in business between 1908-1913. Few cases are seen today because they were a small independent company.

The Penna Watch Case Co.'s primary product was its XXX grade, solid gold case. The case parts had a 14K outer layer, a 10K inner layer, and a low karat center of 4K. This equates to 1/6 of its weight is gold. The "make-up" was purported to be 1/3 in 14K gold, 1/3 in 4K gold, and 1/3 in 10K gold.

They also made 20 and 25 year gold filled cases as well as permanent gold filled cases.

The Penna Watch Case Co. was sold to J.R. Wood & Sons in 1913.

As to your question, yes it's solid gold, that is, solid layered gold, rarely seen and desirable as few were made in their short 5 year private company history.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Thanks Buster I just didn't want to mislead anyone when I was selling it

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006