• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ammoniated cleaning solution "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I purchased a bottle of cleaning solution from Timesavers and no where in the catalog description did it say it contained ammonia.

It came yesterday, and I opened it and smelled it and realized I got a slight whiff of ammonia. It was only then I saw the word ammoniated on the label.

I know old time watch guys used ammonia, but lots of people on this forum tend to stay away from it correct?

It was only nine dollars and I have already opened it, so I'm not going to cry over the wasted money, but I don't want to use it if ammonia is a problem.

Should I not use it? It's a concentrate. One part to seven parts water.

What's wrong with using ammonia anyway?

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Dale,

The best cleaner to buy is the Zenith cleaners, formula 67 & rinse drizebright,
You get them by the gallon and should last you a long time, using these you know you are using the correct solutions and do not have to worry about damage to the parts or yourself if you follow the directions. L&R make watch cleaning solutions but reports of problem about two years ago many watchmakers to moved to Zenith, personally I find it is far superior product in many ways.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thank you Chris.

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009