Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hunting case question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
Many times when you see hunter cases offered for sale, the bezel is often missing.Anyone have an idea why that is?Was it common practice for watchmakers to leave them off after service, like leaving dust bands off (another pet peeve for many collectors)?I have myself seen quite a few hunters with no bezel, even though the rest of the case is nice, and the price is still right up there,even though it isn't complete.I know it can be tricky to find bezels that fit.Thanks again, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Who knows Ted? IMHO the missing dust bands, bezels, whip springs, adjusting screws, etc. we have to look out for now are mainly due to past watch mechanics intentionally cutting corners, being careless/forgetful, or just nodding off at their benches in a drunken stupor, either recently or back in the day. In some cases, the parts may have been taken for use on another watch.

BTW, no bezel = no bid in my book.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed - does a watch HAVE to have a dust band? I sell many loose bands, seldom see them on movements?

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Andy,

Yes that's true, leaving off the dust band is an all-too-often cut corner on the part of watch mechanics.

No, a movement doesn't have to have the dust band, but it's something I like to see as a protection for the movement, especially on a naked movement. With the dust band in place, the balance has a much better chance of surviving the shipping process intact.

No dust band = broken staff after shipping more often than not in my experience if a proper movement shipping container isn't used.

Here it pays to know your seller. Is he a conscientious type that is respectful of horological history, or is he one of these "anything for a buck" guys? The first type you can trust, the second you should give specific shipping instructions (and offer to pay extra if that's what it takes).

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ty professor.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Case in point, the 1869 vintage Elgin KW model 58 I got from Chris Abell last year still has its original dustband.

After his last efforts in timing, the watch only gains about 4-5 seconds a day. This 18s watch is carried almost daily when I'm not carrying my 940, so the time gained is reflected in actual use, not laying in a drawer.

Not sure if the dust band being in place after 144 years has anything to do with the watch's survival, but I'm sure it sure didn't hurt in protecting the old balance.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002