Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fahy's MONTAUK 20 year case "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Kevin Loving
posted
Hello all,

I have bought a old elgin on E Bay. The movement is nothing to brag about but the case is a design I have never seen before.

Anyone know anything about this case?

Kevin Loving
Brookings, South Dakota

Posts: 123 | Location: Brookings, South Dakota in the USA | Registered: January 17, 2016
Picture of Kevin Loving
posted
case pic 2

Kevin Loving
Brookings, South Dakota

Posts: 123 | Location: Brookings, South Dakota in the USA | Registered: January 17, 2016
Picture of Kevin Loving
posted
Front

Kevin Loving
Brookings, South Dakota

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Do the numbers match on the back cover, front bezel and case body?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Kevin Loving
posted
David, That is a good question. The case is a screw on. I have taken the bezel off and can find no numbers anywhere on the bezel or the body of the case. The numbers on the inside of the back cover is 7678737. I have not removed the movement to look inside the case body.

There are a pair if marks on the back of the body that shows me this was not the original movement that was in this case. That does not surprise me because this movements seems way to cheep for this ornate case.

S/N on the movement is 20188384 (Elgin)

Do you have any idea what the "design" is on the engraving? Or perhaps there is no design at all. It is pretty but looks like 4 kidneys to me--LOL

Kevin Loving
Brookings, South Dakota

posted
It really appears random , I stared at it for minutes and got mesmerized .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Kevine the main body case should have # on
also same last 3 to 4 digits should be on front bezels in roman numeral

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
every bezel should have roman numerals if you look you will see 4 dashes 3 dashes and one dash
those are last 3 digits from my case 431

posted
and here is the main body with serial #
last 3 digits 431
hope this help
btw nice case

Picture of Kevin Loving
posted
Wow Peter! I thought those were just scratches on the inside of the bezel.
Here is what I can make out on the bezel:

IV VV (could be a W) VVW V
I can still not find any numbers on the case body. I will take the movement out tonight and see if there is anything on the inside.

Thank you for the education on the roman numbers on the bezel!

Kevin Loving
Brookings, South Dakota

posted
no need they will be on the rim of the case not on inside.
If you keeping the case for yourself who care on the #
if you trying to resale that is another story.

Picture of Kevin Loving
posted
Well Peter, So far I have not been able to part with any of my watches. They are like my children-(except unlike children I have not had any get into trouble! But from the looks of some of them, they "hung out" with all the WRONG PEOPLE before moving in with me!

I suppose one of these days I will have to sell some of this stuff (probably after my wife schedules a "intervention"); But that is most likely years away. She don't see me much these days and only has to put up with me "dancing a jig" every once in a while when I actually get one working! However, once in a while she appears at my "watch room" door holding the bank statement! I have to remember to keep it locked around the first of the month!

Thank You again for the information!

Kevin Loving
Brookings, South Dakota