WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    Help with ID and history/value of family pocket watches - Illinois & Waltham
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with ID and history/value of family pocket watches - Illinois & Waltham "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Although I am new to this site and totally ignorant of pocket watches, I am seeking advice. When I was 17 (I am now 64) my mother gave me two (2)pocket watches. One was my grandfather's who had just passed away and the other was my Uncle's who had died the year before.

I had totally forgotten I had them until recently discovering them while thinning out accumulated junk. I am interested in their value, if any and significance.

One is an Illinois watch with a white face and individual second hand face. It has the etching on the back of a locomotive with passenger cars set on train tracks. The minute hand is green and the other two (2) hands are black.

The other is a gold Waltham with a white face and a separate second face. The back has a diamond design with an encircled shield etched on it.

Both watches run. If photos would help answering some of my questions, I can provide those as well. Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

Posts: 5 | Location: Millstadt, Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 24, 2011
posted
Here are the back of the watches.

Posts: 5 | Location: Millstadt, Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 24, 2011

posted
Hello Ron,

The back cover will need to be removed and there will be a serial # stamped on the movement unique to that watch. Folks will need that specific serial # from the watch to provide information on that watch, ie, year made, size, jewel count, etc...

Warmest Regards,

Jon

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Welcome Ron, they are both good potential watches. Please try to take some pictures with the "macro" on (looks like a flower pot on your rocker control) and disable the flash. It will be much easier to help you with clear pictures.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome to IHC185 Ron. You've certainly come to the right place to learn more about your watches.

Like Jon and David, I look forward to seeing more pictures of your watches.

I noticed an interesting coincidence, I also started collecting watches with my grandfather's and my uncle's pocket watches.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Hello and welcome Ron. I noticed you are less than 15 minutes from my house I live in Fairview. If you are having trouble getting in to see the movement you can call me. 618-580-7525

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Thanks to all for their kind remarks and tips for discovering the history and details of the two watches.

I will attempt to remove the backs of both watches and document what I discover.

And to Mr. Buffard, I may well need your assistance and will take you up on your offer of help if I cannot find success in removing the back covers of the watches.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
The silver cased Illinois should unscrew. The gold toned one should pop open because of the hinge.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Waltham inside back cover info: I did get the back off the Waltham. The watch has a hinged jacket around the watch. You can open the front face (glass) and access the front of the face of the watch. It also has a hinged cover over the back cover. An inscription on the inside of the back cover reads watch cover an insignia that appears to have a letter "C" inside and below the insignia appears to be a capital "C".

The back cover of the watch is also hinged and when open exposes the inner workings of the watch. The information I observed was A.W.W. CO
"WALTHAM, MASS."
On the inside of the back cover is stamped: "Guaranteed"

"cyclone" (enclosed in a fish like circle)

"10 years"

"4409814"

The inside of the inner workings is ornately scribed.

posted
Illinois Pocket watch inside info: After several more tries and realizing using the palm of my hand, the back cover of the Illinois watch unscrewed. I observed four (4) red dots near the opening where the movement is seen. Behind the movement, you can see "Illinois Watch Co". Then written on the outside portion of the back side of the watch is the following: "Sangamo"
"23 jewels"
"Special""

Below the above is written: "Adjusted Temperature"
"Six positions"
"2798215"

Also located near the winding mechanism is written: "jeweled barrel"

On the inside ofthe back cover is the word "Keystone" enclosed in an elongated enclosure, a insignia similar to what I saw on the Waltham back cover, the words "base metal" and the number "3544251". Again this mechanism runs fine too. I took several photos, but again they are not the best. I have attached them.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
The 23J Sangamo Special is a true bridge, Model 9, Railroad Grade & Approved in a size 16, Made 1915, large escape cap, gold letters, crosshatch damaskeened pattern.

There were 1,710 of these made and probably only 170 or so exist until today.

The original dials were double sunk of glass enamel with Arabic numerals. I can't tell from your picture of the dial whether it is original or not.

The case is a replacement case from a later era.

It is a real nice watch to have and highly thought of and collected in the trading circles.

Best advise- keep it and DON'T run it anymore until a COA [clean/oil/adjust] has been made !! It needs servicing since the old animal oil has turned rancid and dirty and no longer lubricates the fine movement properly. The value is between $350-700 in my opinion only.

The Waltham is a 16size gentleman's watch, 7 Jewels, grade 610, made in 1906.

The Waltham appears to be all original as best I can tell.

The Waltham has little $$$ value to collectors [$100-150], but a nice watch nonetheless !!

These watches are your heirlooms and are priceless to you as well they should be.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Ronald,

That Waltham is a rather common 7-jewel but the Sangamo Special is very, very special.

When your Sangamo special was produced in 1915 the Illinois Watch Company advertised these as "The highest grade 16 size 23 jeweled watch made." and the movement alone carried a $66.00 price tag. To put that in context $495.00 could have bought a new car for the family.

What you have is known as a "true bridge" and only 1,710 were produced in that particular 23-Jewel variant.

Here is the data on your watch assembled by IHC185 Member Carlos Cons...

CLICK FOR: EXCLUSIVE FEATURE - ILLINOIS SANGAMO SPECIAL MODEL 9 DATABASE

Scroll down to "23 JEWEL SANGAMO SPECIAL - TRUE BRIDGE" and you will see the 19th run consisting of 2798001-2798700 which includes your 2798215 among the 700 in that run. Scroll down a bit further and you will see a 1917 advertisement for your exact movement.

Congratulations on helping preserve a very worthwhile watch.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002