Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Re: Illinois Getty Model "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi All,

Curious to know what model Getty this is and also would like information if possible with regard to the number 523 on the movement as the book does not list this? Is it a Model Four?

Best Wishes to All for the New Year,

Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Serial number 'Getty'

IHC Member 1555
posted
Image of the '523'

posted
Hi Bila,
If I am reading my Illinois book right and the serial number is 1364730 it should be a:
16s, 17j, Mdl 4 Grade 175.
I have no idea what the "523" means.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thank you for the info Bill, maybe someone can enlighten us on what the "523" could possibly mean.

Cheers,
Bila

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Just a guess at a possible meaning of the 523, there was a jeweler named August Bringe in Milwaukee Wisconsin, his business was located at 523 12th Street. He had some private label Hamilton's in his name. I have seen other numbered watches that are private label & the number was something corresponding to the jeweler.

Again just a possibility.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Bila, I concur that this is a Private label designated for the Dealer in Milwaukee ("Beertown"!) Wisconsin , USA. You have an excellent condition example of the Getty design, one of the best movement designs made in America. The "Grade175" was listed as adjusted for Temperature and isochronism. With a well poised balance wheel it should have no difficulty remaining 1 minute a week accurate or better.

20,975 of these grade 175 movements were made in 108 different production orders between 1896 and 1912 with yours among the "early ones" made in 1897. The short runs were due to the Grade 175 being a popular Private Label movement Illinois made for many companies such as; Marshall Field & Co., Joseph P. Frenzen, Montgomery Ward & Co, Paillard Non Magnetic wactch Co of America, Remington watch Co. and special numbered or named models such as your (VERY RARE Eek) 523, 777, The Stewart Special, "General" (Landis W.Co,), King Special, Herald Square, Railroad King, etc., etc.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Tom & David,

The information supplied and your expertise is very much appreciated. I do not actually own this as yet, but I am in the process of buying it as I quite like the "Getty" design. I have three others, two in the open face style & one hunter, which brings me to my next question with regard to these watches. The Stugart book does not list any 15 jewel movements in their listings. I have a three fingered bridge open face model that has this jewel count, just a little curious why they are not listed?

Bila