Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Question - won't wind! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1508
posted
Hi all. I have a question. I've been out of town for a few days. When I got home, all of my pocket watches were run down...so I gave them all a full wind. That was at about 6:00 pm last night. This morning, I went to wind them as usual, and found that my 940 wouldn't wind. I also set them. And after about a half hour, I noticed that my 940 and one of my 974's had lost about 5 minutes. Any ideas about what's going on? Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
If those watches have no known service history my bet is they need cleaning and new lubrication.

A watch with "old" oil can actually stop more easily when fully wound because the escapement is not "slippery" enough to operate correctly with full spring pressure.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007