Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ferguson Dial Pat. Appd. For "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I picked up a Hamilton 927 Hunter #543354 (1907) with a Ferguson Dial.

Watch runs really well, haven't got the cojones to pull the dial to see what is on the back. I think I will wait till I find a proper hour hand and get my guy Ralph to do it.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
Tough to nail a good pic of the movement so I took it from 2 angles. Gilded trim package.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Dial close-up.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Re-cased in an OF Base Metal Defiance case from the 30's

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Lorne, Comparing yours it to the later style Ferguson that Ed Parsons posted with his Ball 18s 19J Hamilton which also has that Hour hand style. I think the red Hour hand is meant to reduce confusion reading "Ferguson Time" and it may well be the minute hand on yours needs matching to the hour hand. (They both look fine to me).

Also, your Ferguson dial is somewhat different and may be very unique to the history of that design.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1541
posted
Dave, from what I have been able to find out the original hour hand was red to match the hours and the minute black to match the minutes.

I think the hour hand on mine is original, some of the paint is chipped off, but finding a real minute hand could be difficult.

The only hands I am aware of that closely match are the black Hamilton 24 hour hands Wanted to Buy or Trade and the Illinois blue which I am guessing is on Ed's watch.

The ad is from a 1913 catalogue.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
That's right Lorne, a Canadian minutes hand would be your best bet and you should be able to repaint the hours hand -- Cool "PAT.APPD.FOR" dial too! Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1110
posted
Very nice Lorne!!As Dave said, that nice looking dial is different,and may be a "missing link".I've seen lots of Ferguson dials in pictures, but have never seen one like that,that style looks way better than the usual ones to me.( no offense to the owners of regular Ferguson dialed watches!)I like it.That's yet another reason why this hobby is so addictive,every time you think you've seen it all, something like this turns up.Best regards, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1541
posted
The movement was completed and sold on the same day, May 25-1907, to C.H. Knights & Co.

There is a used C.H. Knights Wholesale Jewelers Price List Catalogue on Amazon from 1878, but that is all the info. Does anyone know where this Co. was located? Edit, located in Chicago.

The patent date on the back of other dials is Nov. 17-1908 so that is consistent with this pre-patent dial.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Another interesting thing I just noticed is how the marginal minutes track goes 0 to 9 and then starts over every 10 minutes instead of 1 to 60 like a conventional MM dial. That's a bit confusing when you first look at it, but kind of cool once you understand, as are the peculiar minute and hour tracks of Ferguson dials.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That is exactly my point, the 0-9 cyclic outer chapter markings are quite unique to this dial. It would be interesting to see if this variant was detailed in the Ferguson design patent.

This odd cyclic number chapter came to my attention somewhere in the watch books I have read, but I have been unable to relocate it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1110
posted
Another thing about Lorne's dial, There's no Hamilton name on it.Don't most Ferguson dials have the watch company name on it, like the one Ed has?

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
That's the way the older-style "circular" signature Ferguson dials were. Lorne's dial with "PAT.APPD.FOR" under the center post is the earliest version. After Mr. Ferguson got his patent, that was replaced by "PATENTED" under the center post and the watch company names were added (see photo), and then came the later style "linear" signature.

Early 18-Size Ferguson-Waltham Dial with Correct Hands

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Here's the later, "linear" style Ferguson signature, this time on an 18-size Ferguson-Elgin. The watch is a 21-jewel No. 349 (movement #13329014, circa 1908).

posted
Without words:

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1541
posted
Excellent Gerald!

I looked but was unable to find it.

There seem to be 4 different types:

1. FERGUSON DIAL PAT. APPD. FOR

2. FERGUSON DIAL PATENTED

3. FERGUSON DIAL U.S. PAT. 11-17-08

I am not sure of the chronology of 2&3 but all three were in a circle.

I have seen a pic of a #3 with HOWARD placed in a linear fashion above the circle. Unable to use the image but can be seen using google images.

4. FERGUSON DIAL
+PATENTED+
FOR-XXXXX-WATCH

Same as the dial on Ed's watch

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Lorne,

That dial you found is a nice very early example.

You are on the right track, there were several different versions of these and some of the styles are quite rare. Always carefully check the back of Ferguson Dials for patent information and stock number. Here are the "Find-Or-Search" lists for "Ferguson Patent Dial" and "Ferguson Dial" which will lead to additional pictures and information.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...ferguson+patent+dial

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...qWords=ferguson+dial

Be sure to scroll up and down on each of the topics, there is a lot to see.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5236 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thanks Debbie.

I have read elsewhere that some of the earlier Ferguson dials were made in the U.S.

That then makes me wonder who made them and if they were of a quality that would stand up to Lindell's method of cleaning to remove hairlines.

I would hate to damage the dial while cleaning but will approach it gingerly.

Speaking of damage I was going to have my watch guy remove it but want to see what, if anything, is printed on the back so I will take it off later today.

IHC Member 1016
posted
So Lorne, what was printed on the back?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1541
posted
Mike, I am presently without camera.

The back of the dial has, written by hand, Hamil.

It took a few minutes to figure it out as the top of the Ha was removed when they cut out the seconds bit.

Then the tumblers clicked into place. It's on a Hamilton 927.

I'll put up a pic when I can.

I have found one other photo of the same dial and am presently trying to contact the guy to see if he has any further info.

IHC Member 1541
posted
FERGUSON DIAL PAT. APPD. FOR

Back view

IHC Member 1541
posted
Close-up: Hamil.

IHC Member 1016
posted
That's really a nice find. Good looking dial! The "Hamil" designation was because of feet location I would imagine.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1541
posted
So in say 1906-07 would this dial fit all 18s Hamiltons?

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Yup! Smile

Best Regards,

Ed