Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Did Elgin make an 8 size or a 4 size? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John "cranster" McElhenny
posted
Samuel posting under Johns name.....
The complete price guide does not show any 8 size for Elgin. The serial number program PWATCH shows that it is a 6 size. So either my gauge is broken or my eyes are. I found a 6 size movement with the same plate pattern to compare with. The smaller of the two is serial # 2515391. The larger is serial # 1463582. For visual reference I measured both sides of each movement. 3-9 on the dial side and case screw to case screw on the movement side. I used both millimeters and the American movement size gauge.
So again I ask did Elgin make an 8 size or a 4 size?
Hope this brings lots of discussion as I find it fascinating.

Samuel

Posts: 349 | Location: Western New York in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 22, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Samuel, there should not be any controversy because Wayne's database does say that some were 8s....
Yours is a grade 65, 13j, hunter....Wayne's data says this....

65 42000 made 13j gilded Elgin MCs say some were 8s.

Just because the price book doesn't show them should not be the defining factor....I find discrepancies in that book all the time....

This is probably something that should be pointed out for inclusion in the next edition....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Picture of Michael O'Brien
posted
I agree with Jerry, I have come accross Elgin 8 size movements before.

Mike

Posts: 155 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 13, 2009