Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Watch and Case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello,

This is one of two Hamilton pocket watches I received (years ago) by way of relatives:

Posts: 9 | Location: Pacific Northwest in the USA | Registered: April 27, 2012
posted

posted

posted

posted

posted

posted
I'm curious to know whether the movement and case are considered to be correct. I do know they have been together for 45-50 years at least. This watch is likely from the Minneapolis area.

However, the serial number on the movement (1083336) suggests it is as old as 1913 (I think).

I don't believe the case is that old, but I can't be sure. Does anyone here know? Is there a more appropriate case for this movement?

I don't know a lot about these watches except they are beautiful and keep good time. Any info is appreciated!

- Jim

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Jim,
The Hamilton 990 is a very nice 21J watch. It is
a watch that goes "one up" on the Hamilton 992's with it's fancy damaskeening and detailing. Yours is from 1914.

As you suspected, the case is of a later vintage and appears to be one of the "restrike" cases that were made in the 1970-80's. This Hamilton 990 would of come in a long to medium length pendant case with screw on/off bezels or a "swing ring" case.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1508
posted
Jim, you are correct in your assumption that the case is a lot newer than the movement. However, when your 990 was made, Hamilton did not case them at the factory. That started in 1924. So you are free to case it in pretty much anything that was popular in the mid to late teens. This would be correct in a high or low stemmed case. If it were me, because the 990 had such exquisite demakeening, I'd house it in one of the "Hamilton" salesman's display cases that had a glass bezel on both sides. That way, you can marvel at the beauty of the movement, as well as the front. IMHO. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jim, Though the dustcap on the case stem suggests a 1930-40's vintage, being that your 990 was already 40 years old in the 1950's, it is no surprise to see it in a second case.

Not recasing a well used watch would be like driving your car on bald tires. If you plan to carry that beauty, there is no reason to hunt down another case.

If you want to make it a collectible "under glass", you could find an original 17 Jewel Hamilton on eBay and swap cases, making the 17J a "carry" watch and this one to keep under glass.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks to all who replied!

I came into possession of this watch in 1972 after an uncle of mine passed. I'm certain I saw him with it in the mid to late 60's, so I always felt that would be the latest it could have been re-cased. As a kid, I really liked the case because the edge serrations make it look like a large gold coin. Interestingly, in searching the internet for information, I came across a photo of a Hamilton watch that is apparently displayed at the Smithsonian Institution cased in this same Keystone "Mainliner".

Anyway, great suggestions all on what I might do with this watch. It doesn't have the sentimental value of the other one I have (my grandfather's and is inscribed), so I may look for a new home for it. Heck, I've probably had it longer than my uncle did!

Best regards,

- Jim

IHC Member 1508
posted
Hey Jim, how about some pictures of your grandfather's watch? Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
posted
Sure Brad...it's a smaller gentleman's pocket watch. I believe the movement has 17 jewels.

I'll try to get those pics tonight.

Thanks!

- Jim

posted
You started to see this style case in the early 20's and "Mainliner" refers to the name Hamilton gave their factory case version of the same look/style. Star Watch case also had a version that looks very much like a clone. Normally the Keystone JBoss version has the pre-cut lever slots, one to the right of the pendant and one to the left of the pendant to cover the various watch brands. Your appears to not have the pre-cuts and from what I can see still has the Butler lines on the case back so it has seen little to nearly no use. Being a family item, other than maybe getting it serviced I would not change anything about it.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Jim,

Your pictures are great, you're getting lot's of good advice and interesting comments! I agree the Hamilton 990 is a truly fine movement and you have a beautiful example with a family history that if you decide to keep your uncle's watch could make it a treasure to be passed down for future generations.

These cases which were known as "J. Boss Railroader" began production in the 1920s a patent on the design was issued in 1924 and they were used as "generic" cases for original and replacement replacement by retail jewelers for many, many years. (Claude is right, the "Hamilton Mainliner" is a very different, higher quality, but similar looking case from 1937-1940 production and were used only on Hamilton 950-Elinvar movements.) Your particular case is from the post world war two era from what we see of the markings and finish work. They were available in jewelry material catalogs throughout the 1950s and as Buster mentioned as late as 1977 they were featured in advertisements within the watch collecting hobby.

Although we watch collectors often obsess about Roll Eyes and pay a big premium for originality, replacing a watch case back when this watch was in daily use would be like replacing service items on an automobile, cases did wear out and became shabby looking. Often replacement cases were purchased simply to upgrade the watch thereby giving it a more modern appearance and a feeling of "newness" for the owner.

If you do decide to sell this watch just "Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™" for as little as $12.00 and sell it here, there should be plenty of interest

Hope my musings are of help to you and others,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002