Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this a Burlington Special? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Can someone tell me if this is a Burlington Special?
I can't get my mouse to work right so you will have to take a look for me.

It's a fine looking watch, and has a Solid Gold Lissauer Case, but I know little about this one, and would like to know. Getty? I think it IS a RR too, so clue me in if you can.
Thank you

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1402...&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Sheila,
It's a Getty. It's a hunter case, so railroad no. It also says the watch weighs 3.4 oz. But there is no way of telling how much gold there is in the case. From the description I would say it will also need to be serviced. Nice looking watch though.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Sheila

The Illinois book by Meggers lists this serial number 2195106 in the run of 2195061-2196000 as 16s lever set hunter 19 jewels model 4 grade 185.

Also not a real acurate idea on the weight of the case, a rough estimate is it will bo 30% of the total weight. Like I said that is a rough guess but it will be somewhere in there.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
HI Sheila, yes this is a Burlington Special double signed as the Gold case evidently replaced the "Burlington Watch Factory" case.

The Pansy on the case would certainly put this in your realm of admiration and enjoyment especially due to it's maker!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I have a movement just like this for sale on ebay except it is not a hunter. Movement with dial and hands looks to be 2oz. so case must be about 1.4 oz with the crystal in. It really is a beautiful movement but has a broken balance staff, nasty dial and no case for it. Other than that it's great. To much work for me and correct cases can be a chore to find. Hey Dave, it's a Getty.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Thank you Guys!

Great information. I don't know Illinois at all, but I have taken notice of them lately.

I have learned about the Getty! Thanks to everyone here, and David's in depth explanation of them for me. Thanks David!

It's so nice to get information from everyone, it really helps me learn about other watches.

I may only be picking up on a few others, but I am getting there.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004