Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18 Size Bunn Special 23 Jewel HC watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jeffrey Tibbs
posted
Just wanted to ask the Bunn Special Experts of the correct Dial and case for this watch. SN 2502456, 18 SZ Bunn Special 23 Jewel pic of the Dial in first post

Anyone have production numbers, varieties ect
that would help me evaluate this watch

Thanks to all

Jeff

Posts: 166 | Location: Dublin, Ohio in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2005
Picture of Jeffrey Tibbs
posted
And the case Pic

Thanks

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The dial looks right to me. Most of the the ones in my collection are earlier which can account for legitimate differences in design that took place over the years. With the bezel off it would be easy to confirm that the dial is indeed porcelain-enamel. One minor point, of course the seconds hand from a Waltham is wrong.

Meggers tells us on page 87 of his Illinois Encyclpoedia to expect a "Double-Sunk glass enamel bold Gothic style Arabic numeral dial marked 'Illinois Watch Co.' in Old English. That is in fact the design you have on your watch. Your dial is probably correct.

The case looks entirely proper for the 1913 time frame when that movement was produced. At that time the buyer chose a case from those in the selling retail jeweler's inventory.

About your movement, it would be a Model 5 from as mentioned previously 1913 production. It should be marked as... "Bunn Special, Springfield, Ill., 23 Ruby Jewels, Adjusted to Temerature, 6 Positions, Isochronism, Double Roller, Jeweled Barrel." You have a rare variant movement that apparently only 300 were produced. Please share a picture when you have a chance.

Congratulations, you have a great watch there!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jeffrey Tibbs
posted
Thanks for the info. This does have all the markings , 6 pos, iso, jeweled barrel, 23 ruby jewels, Bunn Special

Best

Jeff

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Outstanding example Jeff, thanks for sharing it.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
In regard to the dial. The repo dials I have seen are press-sunk not true double sunk. This picture with the bezel and crystal in place make it hard to determine but the "sunk" areas look suspicious to me.............Keith

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
Picture of Frank Wilson
posted
Illinois 18s hunter movements do not have a whip spring that is one of the ways you can spot the difference.
Frank

Posts: 174 | Location: La Quinta, California USA | Registered: February 25, 2004
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
It is an interesting movement. The regulator omits the spring because there is no room for it. The balance cock position would make it interfere with the back cover.

I have always thought this was a fun sort of "oops" by the engineering department at Illinois.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Jeffrey Tibbs
posted
Thanks to all for your input and expertise. Now a technical question about the whip spring. Obviously the 18 sz Bunn Hunter omited the whip spring. Did this downgrade it's timekeeping ability. I guess the more approriate question is what difference would the whip make if the case allowed room for it on this model?

Again a big thanks to all for the information you share. That makes this place the best!

Jeff

posted
Jeff,

I do not think it would have any bearing on the watches time keeping ability.. On both models the regulator is moved by turning the adjusting screw left and right. The whip spring holds the regualtor against the adjusting screw..On yours, the regulator has a threaded piece that the adjusting screw goes through.. So it is a direct adjustment by the threads on the screw..No spring needed .. Confused yet?? Both were factory designs and I am sure were tested for time keeping accuracy...........

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002