• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Multi-Mania "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Have you ever gone to a Regional or National and passed the cases filled with those super-fancy, multi-colored, solid gold cases? If they have prices, they are sky high and if you ask the price, you are usually stunned.

Looking at them objectively, they might be either the most beautiful or the ugliest watches ever made! Roll Eyes

At regionals, I try to buy a couple gold hunters if I see them. I like them and I figure that there is little financial downside to owning gold cases.

At the Sunshine Regional, in Mesa on Saturday, I saw this multi-colored watch that seemed to "do it" to me. It is absolutely without any sign of wear. Even the finest engraving is sharp and distinct. The artwork isn't bad either. I've seen some that just turned me off with the design.

It's a 16size but with a true box-hinge. 14K and with a fairly good 17J, nickle plate Elgin movement (many come with cheaper gilded plates).

The Regional was very good but I didn't add anything of significance to my collection. Instead, I was able to pick up some "project" watches and watches that were ripe for upgrade (I'm slowly acquiring a collection of dials and cases). So, when I saw this watch, I had a surplus of money and a spendthrift mood. A few friends looked the watch over and pronounced it worthy and priced right (although not cheap, by any means).

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Front Cover

posted
Inside... dial....

Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Hi Peter
I can see why it did it to ya!!

Simply Awsome, Now we know what they are suppose to look like.

Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
posted
Thanks Gary. Let's face it... when things get this gaudy, there is a very thin line between gorgeous and hideous. One thing, I've noticed, virtually any wear tends to really downgrade any beauty (and price). Every so often, you see a multi, with substantial wear. The engraved areas are worn smooth and without detail (14k gold is pretty soft). In my opinion, that kind of wear really destroys the value of the watch... which is strictly for beauty.

I don't think these watches are all that significant as historical or horological items.

These are affairs of the heart....

IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
Gaudy, perhaps, but very much an artifact of its era, and as such I think it's really quite stunning. And so sharp you could cut yourself. That's truly amazing! The multi-color dial with private label is also hugely appealing. I'm a Hamilton guy personally, but I confess I could easily fall for a watch like that. It's very seductive!

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

In a word... GORGEOUS!!!

Thanks for sharing that amazing find.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
The problem is that unless you regularly deal in this stuff, there is very litle documentation to establish a value. I did ask a few folks if they thought the price was good and they agreed it was. But, I didn't have "the book" as even a reference.

Besides.... my wife might find out.... Eek

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Peter, outstanding watch! You'll never regret buying the best, and that's what you've got there, a watch that's the best of its kind. Congratulations!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Peter that,s a outstanding watch what a beauty how could anyone even think of calling something that beautiful gaudy..
Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
My wife would think it gaudy! And.... you oughta see what she says about CLOCKS! "If you EVER try to sneak something like THAT in MY house....!" Mad

She'll probally see the watch at some point....

"Yes honey.... it was just amazing what those old-timers could do with foil!" Roll Eyes

posted
Peter,

To my eye it doesn't even look to be used. How does the movement look? Maybe you could provide a photo of whats under the hood so to speak. A real eye catcher for certain. Thank you for sharing.

posted
Of course, around here, it's a no-no to use the word "new" unless you have personally broken the seal! Wink

But everything about this watch looks new. If you have looked at a bunch of these...even the very slightest bit of wear will be very apparent under a loupe. There are very, very fine lines of engraving on fairly soft gold. On the front cover (with the monogram), notice how the fine horizontal lines of the background do not quite go to the outer rim. They end and form a little border. Notice how even that is. It would take just a few wearings to start to blur them even a bit.

Inside, there's a 17J, nickle plate Elgin movement. These fancy watches are usually a bit disappointing as they were probably NOT considered for actual timekeeping. This movement is, like the watch, quite nice. I've seen some really fancy watches with pretty low-grade gilded plate movements. It's unusal to find them over 15 jewels.

Something tells me that REAL watchmaking and fancy jewelry didn't mix! Roll Eyes

I'll get a shot of the movement tomorrow. I've lost my light for today.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Peter,
I think this watch is OUTSTANDING, not only the case, with it's beauty, and sharpness, the dial is Gorgeous, and with what looks like a perfect hinge and bow, in a Box Case-hinge style, what else could you ask for?

I have had my eye on Solid gold watches for some time now, and I can tell you that it's a real Honey!

Since the price of Solid Gold, and Gold Filled watches with multi color cases are over the roof in price today, I would not be shocked at all about the cost of this one.

Especially since a small 7j, size 0s, Elgin in a solid gold cases go for over $500.00 today!!!! Eek

Lets face it, there is a market for Solid Gold, and Gold Filled Multi Color cases, and that market is really SUPER HOT.

I have watched 16s, with virtually nothing watch movements, in these cases, (NOT BOX-HINGE) go for a STARTING PRICE of $1600.00.

Unless you have kept up with the solid golds and fancy cases lately, you would never know what the market is doing on these babies lately. It has changed a LOT!!!! Even in the past MONTH!!!!!

Ebay has gone mad over them.

Today you are sometimes buying a watch, and then another just a case. However, when you find a great combination like this one, YOU GOT IT!

Your watch is Gorgeous! and a passion of the heart, is still a great reason to buy a watch, no matter if it's a 7j Elgin, or a Super high quality Railroad, that's what makes this hobby so great to me!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Well, just to echo everyone's comments that is a really gorgeous watch, Peter!

Although I tend to prefer more simply designed watches and jewelry and designs that are less busy- I happen to agree that ol' Mies van der Rohe may have been onto something with his famous 'less is more' aphorism- I LOVE YOUR MULTI . Smile

That dial especially is really beautiful, and I am a big fan of even plain, non-multi-colored watches with fancy dials. This multi-colored example you found has a very definite late Victorian or Edwardian look to it, with a wonderful masculine air to the the design of the case. NICE. Big Grin

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
I promised some better pictures and I THINK these are a bit better. Shooting all this gold is very difficult. I also promised a shot of the movment, which is quite nice.... considering that most of these fancy watches didn't have the best movements.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Oh my Goodness! It gets Better and Better!

YUMMY YUMMY!!!!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004