Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Masterpiece Grade Deflation "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
It has been well documented how in later years Waltham took the label "Premier", that was originally applied to their top-of-the-line Premier Maximus, and used it to imply quality for cheaper products. But Waltham was not the only one. Here is an eBay auction for a Hamilton - this unadjusted 17-jewel Swiss movement, sold by Hamilton in a 10K gold-filled case, is a far cry from the true 23-jewel Masterpiece that was adjusted to 5-positions and proudly cased in only 18K or platinum cases.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I took the liberty of making a composite of some of the key images from the auction. Note that this is all-original with a Hamilton marked Swiss movement.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
... and this is what "Masterpiece" used to mean --

Picture of Brian C.
posted
What a shame.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jerry,

Like Bryan I found your comparisons depicting the demise of Hamilton Masterpiece very interesting and a bit saddening as well. I have serial number 3008339 in my collection as you'll see in the two images below. It has a "rigid" or molded-in bow that is part of the frame and "Hamilton Watch Company - Lancaster, Pennsylvania" on the cuvette. From what I've seen of Hamilton period advertising and catalogs this one with the rigid-bow may be an unusual one. Hopefully these images will along with yours help bear witness to the majestic beauty of these truly wonderful watches.

Masterpiece 3008339 from 1927 in 18K Hamilton Case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Close-up details of the white-gold bow and crown area...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Hamilton also sold the 923 as the "Masterpiece." I don't think there are any marked on the movement, but this example is marked on the case.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Lindell, I get weak in the knees just looking at your Hamilton "Masterpiece"...can't say anything else...it's simply 'Magnificent'...think I would give up my entire collection for it...maybe one day I'll find one of my own...in the interim, I hope you don't mind that I 'snitched' your photo for my desktop image...Jim

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Jim,

You can see reflections on the crystal but are no flaws in that dial.

This watch and a Waltham 12-size with wandering seconds came from the same seller. They were offered to me together. The Masterpiece needed cleaned, but was all there. The Waltham was practically unused, still in the box.

The man asked me about value, this was a few years ago... I showed him the then-current Shugart Watch Guide. My immediate comment was the Masterpiece was magnificent, probably worth 700 to 1,000 to an astute collector. I showed him the current watch guide. He said... "If you're willing to pay the seven hundred for it, I'll throw in the Waltham" and my eyes widened.

Needless to say I was delighted to add both to my collection! As I counted out the cash the seller explained he'd paid ten dollars each for the watches at a charity "white elephant" sale.

Both of us were happy. Turns out he and his wife were new parents and their windfall came in very handy.

I'll never forget that transaction!

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Wink Lindell,

Photos of the Waltham, Please ?? Wink

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
I wonder why the swiss movements always look crude compared to the American movements of the time. I hear it said that American dominance was due more to industrial organization and the ability (or desire) to produce watches of reliable timekeeping. It's said that the Swiss watchmakers possessed equivalent if not greater craftsmanship (plus, of course there were always some high grade Swiss watches). I wonder why, then, Swiss watches tend to look crude and unfinished?

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
I think the swiss watches, made by low scale production methods at that time, had to compete with american watches whose parts were made by the thousands by machines with high precision, that could be done only by reducing quality on the manual finished parts

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Incidentally, Jerry, what year is that Swiss Hamilton? The dial is attactive, although w/o a Mac (horrors! how can I survive, you may wonder. I wonder myself.) I can' see the details.

I still am curious why, with the Hamilton Masterpiece, the Swiss wouldn't have made a tactical decision to produce a highgrade watch, even if only a few. Which Swiss company purchased the Hamilton Name? (Is there a good book on the subject of these transitions?)

jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Anyone else, jump in on this ... I am not familiar with the Swiss continuation of the Hamilton product line.

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I believe that Hamilton bought Buren and moved the production off-shore and then merged into what is now Swatch and was formerly SMH. SMH apparently has taken the name of their high volume product company.

They are still operating out of Lancaster as well as Switzerland.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002