• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin T.M. Avery Keywind "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

This is one you don't see often they only made it for two year's it's a elgin T.M. Avery 17 size,7 jewel,keywind and set from the back,serial no 412715 made in 1875 first run of grade 59.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Very nice example, Mike....

Thanks for letting us see it.

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Hello Mike. You have a very nice watch there. I was excited to see it. I have one as well - serial # 415543 in a case marked Avery Coin. Do you know if having the case marked Avery increases the overall value?

Mary Ann

Mary Ann Scott

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Hi Mary
You would think so mine does not have the marking on the case but being a size 17 size movement it has to be the original one that came with the watch how about posting some photo's of your watch with the marking on the case.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Hello Mike, I haven't forgotten about your request for photos of the case. Our digital camera is 10 years old. I loaded the software on my new computer, but I don't have the proper kind of cable to connect the camera to the computer. I will keep trying to get pictures. I can say that it says Avery in an arc, then coin silver, then 5262. Bear with me....cameras are not my strong point.

Mary Ann Scott

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Thanks for trying it took me a while on how to do it.

posted
Hello Mike. I ended up having to buy a new camera and don't laugh too hard at my picture taking skills. I am not very good at this. Here is the case markings....

Mary Ann Scott

posted
Here is the movement...

Mary Ann Scott

posted
And here is the dial...

Mary Ann Scott

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mary Ann, The 1870's Vintage Elgin Model 1 is actually a "17 Size" and required special cases, so it is very likely a factory-fitted and hence, marked "Avery" Case. This certainly adds to the collectible status (and what I would pay for it).

Speaking from my own collector's spot, your watch is very desirable on at least three points;
1. The Overall condition is excellent.
2. The Case is Marked Avery and is Coin Silver.
3. The (Hand Marked) dial and Hands look excellent.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hi Mary
Nice watch the photo's are not that bad you should of seen my first one's at another forum good job on the photo's I did not know taking photo's of close up's of small objects could be that hard.Mine and your watch were made the same year it's funny that elgin just gave up making these after two years I think they are the only 17 size watch out there.

posted
Thank you, Dave, for your nice comments. It is a special one in my collection. And I got a pretty good deal on it if I remember right.

Mike - Thank you for your encouragement on the photos. I have to figure out the lighting and how to reduce glare from the cases and crystals.
And how to get closer shots. I'll be playing with the camera for awhile!

And to both of you - do you have any idea why the 17 size was not used more? Maybe there was a need for more differentiation between the sizes? That makes some sense to me (which is what worries me!).

Mary Ann

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mary Ann the 17 size was actually used by many of the watch makers, for example Your Elgin, Waltham's model 1888, and many of the early "16 size" Hamiltons. Most of these are anomalous as to the movement because the slightly larger size (0.033” or 1/32 Inch) was the pillar plate that held the dial, while the movement was easily still a "16". I think the decisions of the market "leaders" to go to actual 16 size dials which also pressured the case makers to standardize that size actually forced the watchmakers to "go 16" as well. The October issue of Bulletin has an interesting article on Hamilton "Fallacies" (or something like that) that describes this issue. It is puzzling though as it seems to mix up Walthams with Hamiltons in some odd way.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks for the information. I have so much to learn and this is a great place to do so. You have been most kind in answering my questions.

Mary Ann