• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Identify this Watch? "Big Four Special" "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Anybody know who made this watch? It's 18s and both dial and plate are signed "Big Four Special."

Posts: 156 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
posted
Dial

Posts: 156 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
IHC Member 1693
posted
I think a possible Swiss fake ?

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Swiss Fake. Red fake jewels, uncut balance and are the winding gears even meshing? Doesn't look like it from the picture.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Thanks guys. Just as I thought.

Around 1890-1900, "Big Four" was the nickname of the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St Louis RR, a busy road through Ohio, Indiana and Illinois which was later absorbed by the New York Central, I believe.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
"Big Four" also was the name of the group of tycoons who built the Central Pacific Railroad.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...al_Pacific_Railroad).

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Definitely a Swiss fake intended to resemble a Waltham 18s model 1892 Vanguard.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
This Swiss Fake is easy to spot. It has no click like some of the New York Standard both with fake winding wheels and this one has also copied Rockford's sunken balance design.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Waltham 18S 1892 model has sunken balance as well.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004