Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any information on this black dial? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
I picked this up at the local mart. It was the first Masonic dial that I have found attractive. It is on an 1889 Elgin GM Wheeler. I have not seen this in any of the catalogs I have. Does anyone recognize it?

Ron

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
I especially like the subtle rose colored highlights more visible in this crop.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
It looks very much like a variant of Elgin dial number 1104 as illustrated in this 1896 catalog. If yours is an original enamel dial (the white on black variant) you found yourself a true gem! Smile

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Thanks Jerry,

I had been through that catalog on Wayne's site but didn't realize those drawings could be in negative. I am definitly happy with my find.

Ron

E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
That dial is stunning. Congratulations. I suppose you have looked on the back of it?

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
I haven't but I guess I should do that.

Grandkids showed up about an hour ago though so it may be late Monday or Tuesday. I'll let you know what I find.

Ron

E. Howard Expert
posted
I l-o-v-e black dials. Here's my favorite. There's a Moorhouse signature on the back.

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Nice dial Clint!

Is what is called a Runic dial?

I know the Runic alphabet has something to do with the ancient Norse but have no idea how or why or by whom these dials were used. Can you share any of the history of Runic dials?

Ron

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Runic is a name applied to various Norse and Germanic alphabets, but it also refers to the charms or codes expressed in those alphabets.

In watch dials, it is the second meaning that is borrowed. The dials have a name of someone or some other message "hidden" in the hour markings. It does not matter what font is used, they are all called runic dials.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Here's another nice signed Moorhouse black dial....

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Harold, there are not words to describe that combination, only exclamations!!!!!

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5225 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
E. Howard Expert
posted
I usually refer to the dial I showed, in which a person's name appears in place of the hour numerals, as a "personalized" dial, although "runic" arguably applies (even though the style is old English).

By the way, I'm pretty sure the two Howard dials pictured in this thread happen to be the only two signed black Moorhouse dials known. The calligraphy of Harold's dial is very suggestive of the style found on the dials of many "American Watch Company" Grade Waltham movements of the 1870's and 80's. Moorhouse came to Howard from Waltham in 1886, and I always suspected that Moorhouse essentially "designed" many of Waltham's American Grade dial styles.

Ron, I apologize for highjacking your thread, which started out as a discussion of an Elgin dial, but as long as we're now discussing personalized dials, I thought folks might like to see this one too. Aside from the red Moorhouse signature on the reverse, his artistic fingerpints are all over the front as well. I can count seven characteristic MH features on the obverse, including the highly unusual Gothic Howard signature matching the Gothic versals in the hour track. I've only seen two Howard dials in 20+ years with Gothic Howard signatures.

Howard_personalized_dial.jpg

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Dr. Geller,

I have resized your picture to fit the screen. I guess your original is much better, if you send it to me I can try resizing with better resolution.
floresco@excite.com

Note: Picture updated June 1st

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Clint

I got the info I was looking for. Now I am enjoying these other dials and discussion as well. Without threads like this, I may never see most of these beauties.

Ron

E. Howard Expert
posted
Hi Carlos,

I sent you an e-mail yesterday thanking you for improving the last dial image.

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
You are welcome Clint...

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003