Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilto, cases and ... Hamilton cases "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all.

I have noticed that on three 924 of quite different serial nos, the younger being about 1927, the case is always a Philadelpia WC Co. May be a chance, may be not : I have very confused ideas about Hamilton strategy with cases (if any), could you kindly help me out ?

Thanks !

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Mario,

Hamilton sold their 18S models as movement, hands and dial right up to the end of production. They took no part in the casing decision. That choice was made by the retail jeweler and the customer.

1927 was close to the end for 18S watches, but at that time not even all of Hamilton's 16S watches were factory cased. That didn't happen till 1930 for the 992 and 1936 for the 950 and it would be different years for other Hamilton movements.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
THanks Edward, very clarifying. Could you kindly tell me about casing of smaller sizes ? I infer from your answer that 16s casing at Hamilton started before 1927, but only on some of the watches. Thanks again for your kindness

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
The 12S Hamiltons were all factory cased. The little ladies pendant watches were all sold as movement hands and dial as far as I know.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Hi, Edward.
So
-18s no in house casing
-16s before 1930 some cased in house some not
-12s all cased in house
-ladies : movement, hands & dial only

Well, very clear and sensible, many thanks !