Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Non Glass Crystals "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi I'm new to this hobby and to IHC185 so this is my introductory post

I have a JBoss Keystone 16s Demi Hunter watchcase that I think is around 1900 give or take 5 years. It has no crystal in the front cover and a non-glass crystal in the bezel. My questions are

1) Did it start life without a crystal in its front cover?

2) what year did JBoss Keystone introduce non-glass crystals?

Thanks
Alan Cassidy.

Posts: 15 | Location: Long Island, New York in the USA | Registered: April 19, 2019
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Welcome to the madness and mayhem, Alan!

When you say 'non-glass', I'm assuming you mean plastic, right?

At the time your watch was made, all they had was glass for crystals, so I'd say yours was replaced much later than the date on your watch.

Our own 'William White' should be able to install the correct glass crystals on your watch if you drop him a line and start a conversation, and quite reasonably.

Here's his contact information:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/...6013713/m/2871042023

His inventory is MUCH more extensive than it was back in 2016 when those posts were written, but his contact email address is the same.

To answer your second question, I don't think JBoss ever DID install anything BUT glass on their cases.

Anyone else have some input?

Once again, welcome!!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Hi Alan and welcome , I do not think they ever used plastic . The big problem is it causes the hands to rust , simply ruining them .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Thank you Mark and Kevin for your input. before opening this thread I had contacted William and he told me he can only make crystals larger than 25mm so that means I am stuck for the smaller one. Looking at the outer cover I can't see how they attached a crystal unless they heat the cover up to expand the hole put the crystal in then let it cool and shrink to size. Perhaps that's why I'm not a watchmaker and am more suited to working on my Ford Bronco which I'm not too good at either.

I thought about asking William to install someone else's small crystal but I'm not sure if that is good form and I don't want to put him in an awkward position. Also he would have to measure it for me and either he or I would have to procure it so you can see it's a bit of a mess. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive!

Posts: 15 | Location: Long Island, New York in the USA | Registered: April 19, 2019
IHC Member 2030
posted
Welcome Alan, lucky #3003!
People on here are kind, you will find answers to all of your questions.
Not an expert, but I have seen some glass crystals installed with glue, if done with care it is acceptable.
Regards
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
I have quite a few small ones if you get stuck , just get me a metric measurement , I put together a pretty good assortment,I use a clear UV glue , one of the watchmakers could probably help you also , there is Paul Davis , Rob Carter , Roger Nolfe are all taking in work , I am sure I missed some feel free to add any others .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1411
posted
There were no crystals installed on the front cover of demihunter cases. The crystal installed in the bezel was all that was needed. You indicated that your case is a 16s. William should be able to replace the plastic crystal with the proper glass one. Demihunter cases allowed the telling of the time without actually having to open the front cover. The hands were only partially exposed.

Posts: 232 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2010
posted
Hi, Contact Paul Davis. He has a ton of NOS glass crystals I am sure he would put on for you. He is a member here.
Good luck!

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017