Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas #260 Quirks "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I am taking a Seth 260 in to my local guy to have it cleaned, a new mainspring put in and mount a replacement regulator spring. He has not worked on one before but feels confident there should be no problems. Are there any quirks to working on this watch that you would like to share and I can pass on to him?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
Dial

posted
Seths are pretty easy, Lorne. I'm sure your guy knows to be careful to not break the pallet fork; it can get stuck in the lower balance platform.

It's funny about the regulator spring - they're just as wimpy as any other brand, but it seems like they're always broken.

Great dial, too. Wink

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thanks Eric, I figured the regulator spring would be mentioned, I sure have seen a lot of Seth's with them broken.

posted
I was offered the 260 below for the price written on the tag. The really interesting thing about this example was that it was adjusted to 5 positions and that Temperature was added to the barrel plate.

The really unfortunate thing about this example was the balance cock - it looks like it came from an Elgin.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1541
posted
Remember the picture I sent you of the 260 with the Monty dial that had sold twice? It was 5 positions and temperature. That's a lot of money! Eek