Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

NAWCC Letter 1952 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Here is another letter I found in my Grandfather's papers. It is a welcome letter to his membership to the NAWCC from 55 years ago this week. He is currently 89 years old, and his NAWCC membership number is #1243.

I can tell you he is still very interested in watches, but has trouble seeing, so I blow up digital pictures for him. He has told me several times that he is happy that I am carrying on the tradition.

Incidentally, my NAWCC membership number is #164044.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
posted
John,
That is very cool. What sort of timepieces was your grandfather collecting at the time? Also, it'd be great if you could coax him to say a word or two here about how he got into the NAWCC back then.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Cort,

As a Watch Inspector for the railroad, Grandpa's favorites were RR Grade pocket watches of Illinois, Elgin and Hamilton. He certainly did not like Hunter case watches, fancy solid gold cases, or fancy dials. He was a true railroad guy.

Unfortunately, Alzheimer's and cancer have a hold of him, and he has recently been moved to a nursing home. I'm hoping to see him in a few weeks, and I'll pass along your questions.

Thanks,

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Hi John:
I was only 4 years old then! HA! A long way from my membership into the NAWCC in 1976. Please post more information as you get it.
Cheers!
Joel

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005