Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A "Twilight Zone" Experience "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ever had a "feeling" when you drive into a full parking lot and someone pulls out leaving you a space at the front door? Multiply that feeling times a hundred and you will understand the following experience.

In my "Dum Dum" hurry (never hurry Mad) to "button up" a beautiful OLLLLD 5th Pinion 18s Illinois I broke the cannon pinion arbor on the main wheel. Brian C. had nothing of the kind ( Frown ), so after an obligatory 60 day "cooling off period, I looked into this watch I damaged again to see if I could somehow repair the wheel. We are talking about a 130 year old low production transition movement made by a company not known for using up the inventory of others. The watch comes apart, and I have this "feeling", so I open a box of "wheels", and the FIRST WHEEL I TAKE OUT OF THE BOX IS A MATCH!!!!
The only "deviation" is the length of the arbor which was apparently from a key wind. All else fits! Try to figure the odds on that one! I hear the theme tune from the twilight zone on this one.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Sometimes the watch repair Gods smile on their priests. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Glad you found a replacement, but have to ask. How did the arbor break? This is surely not the most delicate part of any watch Eek BTW...my wife would have said a little glue would take care of it. (Her fix for anything broken)

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Dave, The 60-day cooling off period is the key, your ire cooled and karma was restored. Once I had been up until after midnight with a knotty problem. Went to sleep and was awakened at 0500 with an idea of how to solve. It worked!

BJ Williamson

Posts: 45 | Location: Winona, Mississippi in the USA | Registered: December 31, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mark, if I am a priest, "Saints preserve us"! : Eek

Good question Roger, if I knew the answer to that I may not have broken it.

Bobby Joe, that reminds me of once when I was trying to take the tranny out of my 58 Sportster.

The repaired watch, all happy again! I think it deserves the Karma award! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007