Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Earliest production of Hamilton Model 2 case? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Allerding
posted
Hi,

There is a great thread here about Hamilton model 2 cases, but I couldn't find the date that these models were first produced. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this? Thanks,

Tom

Posts: 139 | Location: Spokane, Washington USA | Registered: August 16, 2005
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Tom,
According to information received from Don, the No. 2 was introduced March 11, 1926.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Allerding
posted
Thanks, Robert. An answer to my question in 14 seconds - what a website!

Tom

posted
Tom,
Here a nice image of the No. 2 from 1927.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Allerding
posted
Thanks, Robert. I don't have one of these (yet) and finding the correct combination of movement, case and dial is daunting.

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks to Robert for a great response and beautiful advertisement.

Early Case 2 examples will have "PAT'S PEND'G" below the serial number as shown in this image.

Early Case 2 "PAT'S PEND'G" marking...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

They will also have "chevrons" and a built up pendant as we see shown on the left in this image.

Early Case 2 details on the left below...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Allerding
posted
Thanks, Lindell. Is there a date for the transition to the "non-chevron" version or for when the model 2 was discontinued altogether?

Tom

posted
Tom,
I might be able to help you on the second part of your question.

The legendary No. 2 last appeared in the 1954 catalog and the highest serial number that I have recorded is from a box label marked:

C413843 J393997 121 Mod 2 " G " " "

This serial number dates to 1954 according to the "Gelson List".

As Don as mentioned many times, Hamilton would continue selling cases as long as they were available, so this may not be the last date for the No. 2.

Robert

posted
In the last catalog offering of the No. 2, we find it available with both the 992B and 950B movements and in solid 14K gold.

Robert

IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Allerding
posted
Thanks, Robert. The advertisement is great!

Tom