• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Roller Jewel placement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently installed a new roller jewel in a 7j, size 18, gr73,cl-11. The watch works perfectly face up and face down with a nice sounding tick/tock. Upright it slows down and sometimes stops. While slowing there is a dfferent ticking sound. Not the normal sound. Sounds like there is something rubbind. I have checked the staff and it seems ok. Both upper and lower jewels seem ok as well. Now the question. Is it possible that the roller jewel is tilted too far forward or backwards, too high or too low or the flat of the jewel not perfectly towards the front? Hope i have given enough information for a diagnosis. Thanks for any help that can be provided. Paul

Posts: 122 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
There are so very, very many things that interfere with watch operation when turned pendant up/down that a tilted roller jewel would be near the end of my list. When I experience a "Pendant up/Down" issue, I check;
1. Loose Pallet Fork Pivots that cause interference beteween the fork and the Roller Jewel and/or Roller. A problem that is hard to mess with. Wiggle the pallet fork up and down and if it does, you have an issue.
2. Pallet fork Guard Pin bent out too close to the roller so it actually rubs on it when gravity pulls the wheel toward the pallet fork. (Too far away and it overbanks too easily, too close and it rubs in some positions.)
3. Hair Spring "free floating" over to rub on the Balance wheel cross arms. Adjust it up closer to the balance cock.
4. Loose Balance wheel pivots which will ALWAYS allow the balance wheel to "flop" about when in a pendant up/down condition.
5. Loose motor barrel cover (only on full plate 18s movements that tilts or "lifs" and rubs the bottom of the balance wheel when in a vertical position.
6. Oversize or tilted roller Jewel that could (barely possible) rub harder on pallet fork slot when in a vertical position. It has always been something like 1-5 for me.)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David: Thanks for the information. Time to tear it all down again. Paul

Posts: 122 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2011