• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Odd Size Cases - any Suggestions? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have several early (1874-1880) high-grade swiss-made Columbus Watch Co. movements, the cases of which I assume were scrapped for gold. I do have a couple of these examples in original solid gold cases, and they're beautiful! I'm thinking that these watches predated the common J Boss technology for gold-filled cases and therefore became extremely vulnerable to scrappers.) A couple of my movements are approx. 16s (19 lignes) and a couple are approx. 8s (16 lignes). Most are running. I've kind of given up looking in the U.S. for cases to fit these orphans. Has anyone ever tried to look overseas for Swiss-sized pocket watch cases? Did you have any luck? Is there anyone who *makes* custom odd-size cases anymore?

Posts: 156 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
posted
A few pics of Columbus Watch Co serial number 4538, a 15J? hunter in a its solid gold house.

Posts: 156 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
posted
The bright nickel movement...

posted
Probably original 14K case...

posted
I apologize for the poor photos. All I have handy for pics is my iPhone, and it can't do real close-ups...

posted
I think the problem with gold cases was $$$$, Lets face it anyone who intentionally looks for gold cases to meltdown is not a collector ,just a scrap-man . I go to auctions and look for the unrealized profit in items and have bought everything from a short bus to a sailboat . The only way to keep them from being melted is to have a robust market for antique watches .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1110
posted
Dennis, I 've often wondered if in a case like that where cases pretty much don't exist, if an adapter ring could be machined to fit the movement to a larger, say 18s case. That way, you aren't altering the new case or the movement, you'd probably have to have special stem made too. I think that should work, there are always nice uncased odd size movements , such as your Columbus and model 88 Walthams.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Dennis I ran across this problem many years ago. I made a decision to get rid of all those beautiful movements I could not find cases and/or parts for and stick with common sizes that I can easily find cases for. I had to change my collection but to9 me it was well worth it. If I happen to run across an odd size that is still in its original case then I may purchase it but if it is not in a case I do not give it a second look. I have looked at overseas sites and since it takes so long and cost so much to purchase something and if I get it and it still doesn't fit or is damaged and was not disclosed I have chosen not to pursue that option. There are plenty of ways to collect so I choose to collect in a less stressful way.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Hi, Harry and Theodore, I appreciate the comments. I knew when I bought these uncased movements that casing them was going to be a problem, but that's where collector's insanity displaces common sense. I've sunk more money into Columbi than I will ever recover...it's a weird compulsion on my part to save them. Can't explain it. But I can proudly say I'm doing my part to keep watchmakers employed! Wink

posted
Interestingly, I see many more 6s ladies' pocket watches being sold in their original solid gold cases than men's RR-grade watches in solid gold cases.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Dennis,

Been there done that I save a watch. I lost about $350 but I saved a watch. It was a rare watch and I enjoyed it while I had it. But I realized I could not keep doing that. So I started collecting watches the only needed cleaning, or I could fix or I could get fixed at a reasonable price and I would let somebody else save the world. Yes I see plenty I would love to have and then I come to my senses and pass on it. It is gratifying to save a watch from becoming a parts watch but as these watches get older more and more will have to become donors in order to keep their brothers/sisters going. Keep going as long as you can.

Harry

posted
Harry, you understand me perfectly! LOL. More than once I have asked a watchmaker not to destroy another watch just to harvest a part for mine. Which raises an interesting question, maybe for another topic thread: When does a watch qualify as a "parts" watch? Is it only a matter of simple economics? Is it like when a car insurance company says a car is "totalled"?

posted
I had to actually tame my urge to case everything, and am content with having a section of movements in my collection.

Case in point, I recently acquired a really nice button set model 1870 crescent st movement. There is VERY little chance of it ever getting cased, not only is it an odd size, but the button setting is another wrench thrown in.

Having an affinity for earlier American movements with different styles of setting and winding, along with 10 and 14 size keywinders, cases are not always an option unless you shell out a ton of cash or wreck a perfectly good case to fit the movement.

I figure it this way, keeping these great movements preserves them, and when I eventually find a nice cased original example, it will make the score that much sweeter!

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
posted
As a side note, i did recently purchase a completely wrecked 6 ounce coin silver hunter case. Found a bezel for it, put springs in it and sent it off for a new pendant, dents banged out, a bow/crown and stem and asked that the lever slot be notched to fit one of my early stemwind elgins. So... A financially poor decision, but the case is saved and it will be the home for a very nice movement. It will still always be a recased watch with the lever slot notched to fit the movement, but it will look pretty darn good!

Sure, if I would be patient, an original watch would present itself... But sometimes I just like to save things from being junked. Any sane person would have tossed that case in the scrap pile. Haha.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
IHC Member 1610
posted
Rick I just got a grade 1870 also. The only thing I can save is the movement. The dial is trash and no other Waltham dial will fit it. It does not have a case and like you say it takes a special case but by golly I have an 1870.

Dennis it makes no sense to me to destroy a running watch to make another one run. But there are only so many parts. If the donor is missing the cock (which I never understand where or why it is missing) or if the staff is broken and there is no replacement and it is cost prohibited to have one made from scratch or a pallet fork is broken, there is a point in which the donor would have just about another entire watch to make a donor run then I think it is time for that one to become the donor. I have seen balance wheels so mangelled that you have to swap of the balance wheel to save the watch. I had to have a Hamilton 927 complete balance made into a double roller along with the cock to save a Hamilton 939. I had almost $800 in it and sold it for $400.

Harry

IHC Member 1555
posted
Probably a dial or 2 around here if you need one Harry. I have a few from Model 1870 key-winds if they will fit the stem-winders (this I am unsure of, do you have dial feet positions)?

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Bila mine is a KWKS 1870. The feet are approximately 53, 13.8, 38 just eyeballing it. Let me know how much you want for one.

Thanks mate,
Harry

IHC Member 1555
posted
I have a look see Harry, definitely 2 here, I will get back to you a little later today, have to head of to town, so I will do it when I get back. Might pay to request in the WTB forum mate so we are not doing anything here in relation to salesSmile

Cheers,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Bila will do!

Harry

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted
Thanks guys!

Smile

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
I was thinking about this still , I sold a case a few months ago to Douglas Weaver? , it seemed odd to me having 3 screw marks , it turned out it was for a convertible Elgin , so if you run across an odd case post it ! someone here may know just what it fits . For the most part those orphan movements were in a gold case and gone for ever.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1650
posted
Yes, Kevin. I was thrilled to find that case. It's hard to find cases for the convertibles. Most of them need a case with a female stem, and they are thicker than a standard 16 size case. I'm still on the lookout for a couple more, as I have more movements waiting.

Posts: 373 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011