• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend Before and After "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up a South Bend in a US Shipping Board case last week on ebay. There was no mention of what movement nor, any pictures of it. I figured it was a 315 model, as thats what all but about one have been in those cases. Here are the before picks of it. The case was very dirty and even had symptoms of corrosion.

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Here is the back. Again, here is the back of the case. you can see some of the corrosion. They had also used sand paper to clean up the US Shipping Board area to be more readible...

posted
After a little cleaning, a new balance staff, and a new crystal, this one is running again as should! As I had originally thought, it was a beautiful 315 model South Bend under the hood.

posted
The dial cleaned up well too. Too bad for the one chip and hairline running from the lever...

posted
And after some fine cleaning and polishing, I was able to get most of the crud off the case and remove the sandpaper scratches that had been put in the case.

posted
Jared, I have one on the bay, back of the case marked u.s.a. - Any idea what that was for?

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
Andy-

Not too sure. If its a case only, I have seen some of the elgin bomber timers in them. They don't bring a whole lot from what I have seen. I sold one a couple eyars ago for around $35. in good running condition. I would have to see the case to know for sure though.

Jared

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Nice Jared,
I think I'm getting the South Bend bug, I have a model 211 I found cheap a couple years ago, needed a staff, got it replaced OK, turned out to be a super time keeper, carried for a while, put it away and forgot about it, just got it out to look at it, wondering now why I the bug didn't bite before.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1508
posted
Nice job Jared! That's one of the great things about these huge nickel silver cases, they are solid clear through. None of that plating, or gold filled business. Makes it easy to fix anything on them, because there's no worries about wearing through. Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010

posted
SB - Eek

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Excellent!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Jared, here's mine that's 88 away from yours!

I was digging through a box of watches yesterday and found this one.... thought it would be a good one to bring back to life. While it was in the cleaner, I looked up the US Shipping Board and found this thread..... then joined!

So, thought I should share my version. Turned out great and keeping excellent time too.

Posts: 9 | Location: Montana in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2013
posted
Case back

posted
movement

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Congratulations Dave, yO0UR HAVE A Rare find! I expect the case propels these to about three star status. Also yours and Jared's have matching Hour and Minute hands suggesting originality.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007