Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Can anyone help me with this interesting find I also made recently, basically I have two Elgin Stopwatches one in original box and very good condition and as you can see a gilded plates and another that NEEDS A STEM and CROWN, if anyone has one, this has a nickel movement and black gear/screws, now what can you all tell me about these two?

Chris A

p1

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
P2

Chris A

P2

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
P3

Chris A

P3

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
P4

Chris A

P4

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
P5

Chris A

P5

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Chris,
If you still need the stem and crown, e-mail me and include the watch serial number. I may have one.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Have I got you all stumped as to why/when the different materials came into play?

Chris A

Watch Repair Expert
posted
My guess would be either wartime shortages, or special production to meet some particular military specifications (perhaps for corrosion resistance).

It isn't just the Elgin stopwatches that came in the two colors shown above; their 6/0 wristwatch movements of that vintage came the same way, as did many of the military issue 16s B.W. Raymond pocket watch movements, etc.

==============

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002