Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Wm. McKinley "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Here's a Wm. Mckinley hunter case watch I acquired recently, Runs well, keeping time, dial has issues. A model 4, 21 jewel, lever set.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
The dial

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Case front

posted
Case back

posted
The only mark inside the case, I've posted this before. Could this be a base metal or some other alloy type case?

Gary

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That is a 14K Gold Filled Kenosha (yes Kenosha Wisconsin) watch case that is period correct for that movement. All fairly rare and in pretty good shape too!

Interesting to have that wrapped around a 1905 vintage 2140136 Hampden.

The dial can be fixed to look OK.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Nice watch and an uncommon case. The dial is not hard to find if you want to replace it.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
Thanks for the replies. I thought that gold filled cases had to be marked with some indication as to wear, {guaranteed to wear 10 or 20 yrs} or the gold content, etc., or was that done by the case companies to show their cases were better than the competition.

Gary

IHC Life Member
posted
Gary the companies put about anything they wanted on cases. Commonly 10, 20, 25 years etc. However that was not required and some companies used symbols or names like Elgin Giant to indicate the quality of their cases. I have seen any number of cases stamped something like 14k commander and of course a buyer just might not realize that was not solid gold. The other thing you have to look for is what I call creative upgrading. Someone stamps a cheap case as 14k U. S. or on movements an upgrade from 9 to 21 jewels and of course the false labeling with a high end name. Fake Rolex's mare nothing new.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
Hi Deacon, I saw a hunter cases watch last night on ebay, marked 14K on the dust cover, the seller stated that despite the assay mark that the case was gold filled.

Gary

IHC Life Member
posted
I still remember the 14k solid gold case I bought that was NOT solid. An expensive but valuable lesson.

Deacon

IHC Member 1016
posted
My very first PW purchase was a Fahy Monarch, 14K, that was, of course plated not solid, and I learned a valuable (expensive) lesson. That's not saying we can't be taken again sometime!

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
Okay, the watch I commented on didn't sell, so here's a link, what do you think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320777...id=p3984.m1423.l2649