Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas with 24 Hour Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I recently picked up this 18s, 17 jewel Seth Thomas pocket watch. First Seth Thomas I've seen with a 24 hour dial. Interestingly, the hour numbers are radial (7 and 5 are upside down). The serial number is 288320. I'd like to find out the Grade Number, how many were made, and what year the watch was made, if possible.

Thanks,

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Case Markings

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Case back

posted
Those are great dials, John. They don't surface often and they did come in both genuine double-sunk porcelain-enamel and the Swiss "double-pressed" version, which is noticeably thinner.

You have a variant of the Grade 182, Model 5, made around 1890, and selling for $10 in the 1904 catalog. Seth Thomas blocked out 200,000 numbers for all grades of the Model 5.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
John III,
That Seth Thomas 24 hour dial is awesome. Thanks for showing us the dial and movement. Smile
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Eric,

Thanks for all of the awesome info!

Tony,

I saw this at a mart table for $120. No brainer. Even with a few hairlines and the replacement case, I still love this one. Big Grin

John III