• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My latest tool "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Just picked this up on ebay. Might have cost me $100 to get it, but with 4-5,000 crystals i have that are unmarked on their size, it will pay for itself tenfold!

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Nice item, I've found my crystal gauge very useful for sizing crystals w/o labels. I write the size on the crystal with an alcohol marker.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Wouldn't that make a dandy thing for IHC to reproduce and make available to IHC members at a more affordable cost...

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I have wanted one of those Frown for years.

Let's see, considering Mike's suggestion. The original is in brass so it retains the size and will never wear out, it could last a thousand years. We could replicate this by doing a precise drawing that is then copied in the exact size on card-stock and laminated. Since most of us would use the gauge infrequently a laminated card-stock copy would last for quite a long while. The cost of this using our usual unpaid volunteers Roll Eyes would be a couple dollars. By the time it is shipped the total out-of-pocket should be under five dollars.

What do you think of this plan?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Please!

Bob

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Please here also.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Bet if I had it I could draw it up on a cad system pretty easily.....

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Count me in.

My Amishman has these, but in clear plastic with the grid embossed on it.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
me too !!

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1016
posted
Steve, I'll send mine to you for an attempt, but naturally need it back! Send your address and any particulars. mike4ksu@hotmail.com

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1357
posted
Count me in! Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
When does production begin? also how much will they be? plus postage of course?

Posts: 375 | Location: Brisbane in Australia | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Count me in as well, please....

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
GREAT idea Lindell!
There would be a lot of takers for that one!!

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Steve,

is there anyway you could also include the MM conversion CHART also I find the fractional lables not to be accurate between brands

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Chris,

I'm sure that could be converted, it would just have to scaled a little differently to try and work in even metric increments.

Steve

posted
Hi all. I have a conversion chart that came with my crystal cabinet. It is a hand drawn three way conversion chart Ligne-metric-and American sizes. My scan was too large to send. If anyone wants a copy just eMail me your address and I will send you one.........Keith ..ckeithjohnson@eriecoast.com

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
If anyone would see how these gauges are used to determine crystal size, check out this prior topic:

CLICK FOR: Glass Crystal Gauge

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Question???? is this only for round crystal or can be used for all types? squares for WW???

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Francis,

There's no reason you couldn't measure a square crystal with this type of gauge, but determining the point of tangency where you read off the intercept would be somewhat more tricky than for a round crystal.

Personally, I would prefer to use a caliper for a square crystal.

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I still find accuracy is my best friend so I use a dial caliper to measure the bezel and "convert" the size (INCHES) with A "Size Chart"BELOW. Of course we have William White, the A1 grade crystal maker right here to "fill in" with the actual correctly ground and sized crystal . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
That is what i love about this site. Throw out a question and U results plus much more...what a great awesome group to belong too.

posted
Hey David, Thanks for posting that chart. I printed out a copy,and checked it out. Works good.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
I simply use a 1"-2" micrometer which gives a very accurate diameter easily to within 0.001" and better.

Posts: 189 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 27, 2010
posted
Lindell and David-

I emailed you a PDF version of the crystal gauge to look at and check for accuracy. Let me know if you didn't receive my email with it.

Thanks,
Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jared, I received you picture and am checking a frind who does laser etching to see if we can make an all metal "edition" of this gauge. I would like to help design it so we can use it to scale Crystal Bezels also as what we need these days is a reliable way to size bezels for replacements.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Both Steve Middlesworth and Jared Brinker sent Lin copies of the drawings and they look very promising.

Thank you,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5232 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Dave,

I can send you a dxf file if that lazer etcher is cnc.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The laser shop can use the picture Jared made and fine tune it with the dimensional chart I gave them. It will look and work like the one Jared has but also has a "hole pattern" to use small dowel pins to gauge crystal bezels in the 12-18 sizes.

I will to mount this on a nice walnut base at it will be printed on a brushed stainless laminated black plastic to show black inset printing. When a sample is ready I will show pics.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
A great idea and what a fun group IHC185 is!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
Dave,When they are made available,I'd like one.Regards.Norm

ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE...

This interesting topic continues here:

CLICK: Crystal and Bezel Gauge for IHC185 Store

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010