Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 241 comments welcome "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
Here is a watch I took delivery of today. It is an Elgin 16s, 17j, SN 11308537, that does not currently run. It came in an open face case but it is a Hunter Mvmt that is PS/PW. I will try cleaning it, but you can see there is an obvious issue with the crown wheel screw and washer. Is this watch valuable enough to send off for repair if needed? Another way to ask that is whether the watch is more economically viable to simply sell to someone who can work on it, rather than paying someone? I believe I saw 62,000 as a production total.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
These Three Finger Elgins are pertty popular. As the case looks original so the watch itself will present well with a cleaning and some detail work.

Your keeping it comes down to overall condition, Dial, Case, Hands, etc., that would make a simple service worth it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Yes Dave, but the case is open face rather than Hunter. I will clean this up and if that's all it needs it will be a good buy. If it needs more it is up for grabs. I just picked up a hunter case for a reasonable amount. Now, we will see if it's a good case. You never know on ebay.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007