Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

in need of some answers "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Frank Wilson
posted
Hi everyone,
A friend of mine asked me about the extra hand on this 992E. Is this anything that came out of the factory or is this a frankin watch?

thanks,
Frank

992e

Posts: 174 | Location: La Quinta, California USA | Registered: February 25, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Hi Frank,

What your friend has are called "Dual Time-Zone Hands" by most collectors. Some purists look upon them with disdain, but DTZ hands were available over the years as an after-market accessory and they were certainly useful. Let's say your run went back and forth between Cleveland and Chicago, that extra hand would be very helpful. To my knowledge Hamilton never marketed their watches so-equipped.

The term "Frankenwatch" usually implies the watch was put together from a bunch of unrelated left-overs, for example a 1950s movement in a 1920s case with a dial from the teens. Installing the DTZ hands does nothing permanent, they can always be changed back. I personally find them interesting and have a couple watches with them. Under the right circumstances they can add to desirability.

Lindell

23J Hamilton 950 Elinvar Mainliner, Dual Time-Zone...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Frank Wilson
posted
Lindell,
Thanks for you fast response! Wink

Frank

Posts: 174 | Location: La Quinta, California USA | Registered: February 25, 2004