Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longines 15j,sz10, collector value? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
I recently acquired this Longines, Sz 10, HC, 15j,.800 silver case, commemorative watch from Paris Gran Prix 1889.Someone has done a sloppy job of replacing the crystal. What I would like to know is there any collector value, other than the silver content? What is this kind of case called? It's sort of a combination OF and HC case.

Posts: 345 | Location: Racine, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2010
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted

Posts: 345 | Location: Racine, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2010
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted

Picture of Donald Hawes
posted

Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
X

Picture of Donald Hawes
posted

IHC Life Member
posted
Donald-
The case is a "Demi-Hunter", more popular in Europe. Hope this helps!
Regards,
Bob

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is a fully original triple signed Longines Demi-Hunter. The case, Dial, Hands and Movement all look original. I sold one of these in that same size range for about $350.00 on eBay. My recommendation is to keep it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Bob & David: Thank you for the info. I knew nothing about this watch and took a chance for $75.00. I will hang on to it. Did you notice the sloppy job on the crystal?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Don, look in the new parts section in this web site. Pete has some crystals and these smaller ones are still available. I think you can easily find the right crystal to fit this Gem. You might just send him the crystal bezel so he can find one that fits better.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...1029012/m/5083936677

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I don't think there is much collector interest in Longines, but it made some fine watches.

The minute hand on your watch does not look original.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Thanks Ethan. I think your right.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sadly few of these Swiss watches survived with solid gold cases, so their popularity in some watch collections has suffered to the advantage of the many Watch collectors who have shared with me their appreciation and preservation of these examples of excellence in watchmaking. In the late 19th century, these factory finished, cased and timed Longines and Omega watches earned their place in history as the first Swiss watchmakers who "woke up" to the realization that survival in the 20th century watchmaking business REQUIRED machine produced watches with more interchangeable parts.