Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Hamilton 950B Signature?" "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
The Hamilton 992B had "4 signature movements" during it production period. How many different "signatures" did the 950B have during its production period? Thanks in advance.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
That is interesting Robert... a point on those I have not investigated... and not totally sure it changed... what has everyone seen?

I only own one.... S079 .. and unless i hit the lottery or my ship comes in instead of sinking it may be my only one...

there are some 'rough numbers' on the gold train feature though...

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Robert,

I looked at my earliest S924 through S29403 close to the end and found no variation in signature. Same rhodium plating and gold filled in lettering along with narrow stripes on each of them. Unless Terry's low number (WOW!) differs in some manner I'd say they are all alike. Of course the gold gear train, different case styles and dials are another matter. Wink

S5258 shares damaskeening and signature with other 950B examples...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell, Terry,
I really appreciate the info and Lindell's excellent image.

Terry, would you care to post an image of your S-079?

Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Yes, I will..... but it will be a coupla days.. It ain't as purdy as the one posted above...

Found it about 45 miles from here, had been in collection since the 70's (so he said)... it was original, with exception of second hand... now it has a replaced second hand.. but original wear Wink

One of the previous Bulletin articles on the 950 mentioned Hamilton changing from White gold plating to rhodium plating ..... not sure what they did with the B...

posted
Terry,
Thanks for the additional comments. With respect to serial numbers, what is the highest s/n 950B that you have seen or have knowledge of?

Thanks,
Robert

posted
Highest 950B in my database..... S30219 and is a recase...

S30123 seemed to be a correct watch....

Ed Uberall may have one higher in his database.. not sure..

BUT>>>>>>>>>> Big Grin

s29556
s29683
s29689
s29790
s29839

WERE FINISHED AS 992B MOVEMENTS.... Eek

posted
Thanks,

Robert

posted
Was that my queue

Robert, found this one in your backyard.
Hillsville - 2004

posted
Hi Charlie,
Really nice specimen, there probably weren't many made up using 950B parts.

I was a Hillsville for 2 days. I hope to make the mid-eastern at Salem this year, would like to meet some fellow members. Do you plan to attend?

Robert

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Terry,
S/Ns S 30123 (in a #17 case) and S 30219 (in a Model A case) are the two highest numbers we have. BTW, there are no examples of a 950B intermixed inbetween the numbers that were made as 992Bs. so they may have been made as a block.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Thanks Ed,
Do you have any other examples of the S 992b besides what is listed there?

I also have not intermingled examples listed...

Robert,
I plan to be there...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Terry and Charlie will probably remember this interesting example. By the way, this particular S-992B number S30125 is housed in a beautiful 14K Solid Gold Model 17 Case. This one may break the "intermingled serial numbers" theory as well. Additional comments are welcome.

S30125 is one more post-production 992B built on a 950B pillar plate...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
all right... where U been hidin that one ?? Wink

Case #???

of course it could be I am sooo far behind in entering #'s in DB... Eek

IHC President
Life Member
posted

He He He... Big Grin

What I find fascinating is that this one S30125 was finished as a 992B when just two numbers below S30123 is recorded as a 950B in Ed's database! Sure would be interesting to know particulars of the one in-between.

Inside the case-back is shown in the image below. A close view of this one is a warning to us all... be sensitive to weight and look very carefully at all case markings. Note the red stamped code shown in this image.

"14K GOLD" on P164746 along with the common Model 17 markings...

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Terry,
Your list of "S" serial number 992Bs is the same as ours.
Hamilton sure did some funny things as they neared the end of production didn't they? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Lindell,
do you have provinance on this one?

have recoded p164746 solid gold..

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Terry, you recorded the numbers when I bought it last December. Smile

THIS CASE IS 14K SOLID GOLD and my comment above refers to the fact it could be overlooked by the casual observer. There is really nothing beyond the "feel" of additional weight to draw attention. One might miss that little "14K" mark.

This watch was originally purchased in 1970 by the original owner, a Portland, Oregon watch collector who was also an executive with the Great Northern Railroad. The guy I bought it from purchased it in 1981 at the estate auction.

I'm proud to be the third owner of this unique watch.

Lindell

Wink

posted
Thanks Lindell... no doubt of material...

forgive my short memory... gettin dummer ever day...

it is probably written in my notes, and not in database yet..