Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham dial - What does it fit?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I've got a very nice 16s Waltham Montgomery dial, feet positions at 18.5, 38.5 and 57.5. Does anyone know what this dial will fit on?

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Larry, those are standard Waltham 16-size foot positions and are the same for all 16-size movements, going back to the 1872 model. They are the same for hunting or open-face. I don't know about earlier models, but I doubt a Montgomery dial would be appropriate for them anyway Wink

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
The earliest record of the use of a Montgomery dial was a trade article in 1900 describing the installation of the "new" Montgomery dial onto all of the station clocks on the Santa Fe railroad. Exactly when the watch dial came into commercial use is not known, but they were certainly being used by 1906. I would think that a Montgomery dial on any Waltham made after about 1906 would be appropriate.
For those who may not know, Henry S. Montgomery, who designed the dial, was the chief Time Inspector for the AT&SF.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002