Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Gr 120 w/Monty Dial correct/incorrect? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
There are a couple threads about the Grade 120 with the chronometer dial. From the threads, I'm getting the impression that not all these watches left the factory with the chronometer dial... Mr. Jones talks about having several with RR dials.

Do we know who these were marketed to? Were they Trolley Watches??? or another specialty market?

Any comments or observations to the correctness or shortcomings of this example are appreciated. Especially elusive is the date of manufacture.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
movement number: 3586240

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
case

IHC Member 1736
posted
Dang, no comments, history, opinions?

I kinda like the little bugger.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Paul:

Nice Hampden pocket watch in Dueber case, being adjusted to three positions, with its Montgomery dial. I would definitely say that it would have been approved for Interurban (Trolley.) Service.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice Hampden Paul! Those 120's seem to be scarce.I think these were intended for street railway use,along with the 3-position 115.They were for those who wanted a little more bang for their buck, being 21 instead of the usual 17 jewels for trolley use, even though we all know those extra 4 jewels don't amount to much.I've seen these for sale, some have a chronometer dial, some don't.The dial could have been switched somewhere along the line also.The chronometer dial can also be on the 115.Some 3 position watches were supposed to have been grandfathered into Railroad service too. That one should have been made around 1918, but there's no Hampden records to go by either.That one is a keeper! Take care, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
I forgot something, that Montgomery dial, is the right age for that movement S.N., being that it is just marked "Hampden" in plain block letters,instead of the full script signature on the earlier ones.I have one like it ,but with "Dueber" in an arc above Hampden on a No. 105.,also in the 3 mil. serial number range.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1736
posted
Ted,

Thank you for taking the time to review this piece. I thought it was correct, but wasn't sure. It is in great condition for its age and service.

Gonna have to kick a couple Wm McKinleys to the curb to make room for this one to stay.

Paul

posted
I suspect your watch originally came with a "chronometer" dial. I have a 120 without a proper "chronometer" dial. During its lifetime any variety of railroad dials would have been available to replace the one from the factory or replace a broken dial. Also, the 120 is a stem set watch and would never have been acceptable for rail service in its lifetime. Whether a stem set watch was acceptable for trolley use would depend on the local trolley company rules and not generally accepted railroad rules proposed by Ball.

My guess is that the 21 jewel "chronometer" watch was a marketing gimmick to sell a high grade railroad quality watch to the general public without actually delivering a railroad approved watch, hence the 3 adjustments and chronometer label on a 21 jewel watch.

Just mho.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005