• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

One of my finest ~ Columbus King 25 Jewel "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I thought I would share my latest find. It is a 25 jewel Columbus King in a 14k Roy hunter case. I don't know if the case is original to the watch, but boy it is a beauty & there are no extra set of case screws showing. Would anyone know how many might still be out there? Pretty rare watch & I have never seen one before. Best, Jim

Click the link to my auction listing

Columbus King 25 Jewel

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
WOW Green with envy Big Grin Smile But I'm very happy for you.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Great looking watch. Congratulations!

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
James,

That's a fancy timepiece! It's amazing how watch manufacturers used different materials to create a colorful machine; Nickel, brass, bright steel, blued steel, gold, ruby and enamel. And that case! Wow! The watch looks new! I'm glad you shared such nice images of a top Columbus grade here.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
These are the types of watches that, when seen, take your breath away.

I've only see/held one in person at an antique store on a back road of Kentucky betweeen Bardstown and Lexington that was like this. An 18s Elgin hunter 17j, solid gold box hinge case. One of those type watches that if you had to ask the price, you couldn't afford it anyway.

All the shop keeper would say was it was 4 figures. I slowly backed away from the case and tipped my hat. Wink

They are what they are...examples of the watchmaker/casemaker's art that will never be seen again..

Enough of my rambling, though....you are a lucky man to have such an item in your possession. Take good care of it....and enjoy it.

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
I am high bidder for the time being. I really don't hold much hope as this is a really big bucks watch even with the initials engraved on the case.
What a beauty. I do have $13.03 in Ebay bucks will that help? Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Hey Phil I saw you were the high bidder. I hope you win this one. I can't think of a better home. I do hope it is a really big buck watch. The only one I could find sold was through Jones & Horan. That one was in a gold filled case & wrong dial, it still brought $6,600. Just to help you out, if you are the high bidder, I will match your $13.03 eBay bucks Wink Good luck!

posted
Looks like $7500 Plus Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
What an out standing watch. I am a bidder on it and can only hope to win, but I have never seen one of these before and the case is a beauty. Maybe my granddaughter will ask me where you put the battery! I wish you the best on your auction and hope the price is such I can win!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Absolutely stunning Jim, a home run out of the park for sure!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
James I just had a great idea, I will trade you my ultra rare 25 jewel Hampden for your watch and I will pay for postage and insurance!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
Deacon, you are much to kind. Let me sleep on it for the night Wink

posted
Closed at $9,788!

Fantastic, Jim Wink

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
That was a home run, nice one. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
posted
Well, I'm not sure what is going on with this watch or if someone was trying to scam someone on ebay. NOTE: after this watch sold on ebay for $9,788 on 1/23 it appeared back on ebay on Saturday morning 1/28 with the seller saying "$2,500 will buy it right now, e-mail me and I will call you back, I have an I-phone to alert me of incoming e-mails". This was at 6:00AM ET on 1/28 and by the time I looked for the auction at noon on 1/28 the posting was no longer there.... **** I would have rang his I-phone for $2,500 but I did not feel comfortable seeing this watch re-posted with the seller seemingly wanting to dump it fast..... Anyone see the same thing I did?

Posts: 311 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
I sold the watch you see here for $9,788. The second auction was a scam. They used my photo & description. I guess the way the scam works is that the scammer hacks an eBay id & lists it through that id. Because it is not his id, they have you contact them off of eBay & arrange for payment that can not be reversed. I contacted eBay on this auction & they had it removed. I have seen this done many times before & wonder how many have been taken in by greed. Do not be surprised to see this watch re-listed many more times with different user id's.