Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gold Elgin info needed "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All-

Here is a pocket watch I have had for over 40 years but and thought I would share here. I really don't know much about what it is or the real year it may haven made.

Information welcomed.
Paul

Posts: 16 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2017
posted
Movement

Posts: 16 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2017
posted
Back of case

posted
Front of case

IHC Member 1613
posted
I might not got the serial number right but I think it is close enough...

GRADE 85
Manufacturer Location: Elgin, Illinois
Movement Serial Number: 700868
Grade: 85
Model: 2
Class: 22
Estimated Production Year: 1880
Run Quantity: 1,000
Total Production: 3,000
Size: 16s
Jewels: 15j
Movement Configuration: Convertible
Movement Finish: Gilt
Movement Setting: Lever
Plate: Bridge Plate
Bridge Type: 3-finger
Barrel: Going
Train: Quick
Regulator: Moseley
Adjusted: Yes
Railroad Grade: Yes
Data Research: c.1950 Elgin Serial List

Posts: 2010 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
posted
WOW Thanks! That was fast!

posted
The serial number is 700869 and you were close

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Gary!

Smile

Posts: 5247 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
This movement could be used as a open face or hunter. You see a lot of these grades sold as movements only because the case needed is a bit odd. In its day this watch could have been easily used for railroad service, at that time 15j, patent regulator, able to keep under 30 secs loss per week and adjusted for heat and cold and iso. The Kipton train wreck did not happen for another 11 years and that was Ball's initial requirements after that wreck.

Looks to be in great condiion

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Paul,

You have a beautiful Elgin Convertible!

Always check our "Technical Library, Serial Numbers and Site Links" for additional information.

In this specific instance "Elgin Watch Collectors Database" brings out the facts about Elgin Movements. You can rely upon '"Online Elgin Serial Number Database"

Here you will see definitive information on your 700869 which is a Grade 85 from 1879 production. Line notes on grade 85 CVT (Convertible) bridge: Elgin's first bridge model, first 16s model 2, Adjusted, Gilded) We often are left to wonder... with only 3,000 of the Grade 85 produced how many are still out there after 138 years has passed, especially in a Solid-Gold Case! Claude is entirely correct, you have one of the most interesting watches in our hobby and a personal favorite of mine.

The special style "high-dome" case was used on these and some 16-size Hampden movements. I remember my first time "converting" one of these from Hunter to Open-Face configuration, truly fascinating! this unique design was conceived to allow retailers to offer additional options and carry less inventory. A fine concept that sadly never caught on and which makes them all the more worthwhile to us as collectors.

Enjoy caring for it!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks to all!
Paul