WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What's your rarest find along with best deal in pocketwatches? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hey members,

This question really could be divided into two topics but it just so happens my rarest find became my best deal. Read on!

One Saturday morning, I decided to read the classifieds of watches for sale. I saw an ad that advertised just that and acted on it. By Saturday evening, I had in hand, a Hamilton 992 marked Special, 21 jewels, 16 size, double roller, lever set,2-tone NI,etc. etc. and marked Adj. for RR Service on dial, OF in beautiful condition too!

That was my first railroad watch in my collection and I must say a mighty fine one too!

Cooksey Shugart's 2002 Price Guidebook to Watches
gives this watch ***(three stars). Folks, I had NO idea what I had found that day until I arrived home. I would have to say it was probably my luckiest day in my hunt for pocketwatches!
Big Grin I forgot to tell you I got it for a song!! Smile

What's your rarest find and best deal?
I'd love to read about it. Write in folks.

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC# 0143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Stephanie,

On behalf of all our Chapter 185 Members, a hearty welcome to you and thanks for joining us!

You sure described one of the rarest and best deal combinations I've recently heard of. By the way the value of your watch is up to $2,500.00 in the Shugart 2003 Edition. What a find! I know what you mean about it hitting you later when you realize what you have actually found. I've looked at several of those with serious deficiencies and passed on them, but yours sounds like a winner.

Since some of us have come out of the closet with the fact we collect 12-size watches I'll tell you about the one you see below which showed up on eBay last year. It might classify as the rarest and oddest looking around. Those who know of my love for South-Bend watches may have already realized what this is.

Sources differ on the facts, but suffice it to say this is one of only a handful of South-Bend Digital watches ever made. I've seen pictures or have information on most of the few known examples and I've yet to hear of two exactly alike. This one is a perfect running 21-jewel in amazing condition.

For a situation as odd as the watch itself the auction was slated to end in the middle of the night, so I loaded up with Coca Cola and settled in. When the auction closed I owned it for about half what I expected to pay. So much of finding what we are after is timing and I consider myself fortunate. I want to own at least one of every grade South-Bend and I'm nearly there.

South-Bend 21-jewel Studebaker 8 adjustment 1236513 digital 12-size...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
As for rarest find, some of you might remember a little ole Howard 17j Series VII Split Plate movement in its original case and dial. I had started a thread on it in the pocket watch section a while back looking for some more information on it. With all of the switching that apparently takes place in Howards (and others), this one was a doosey do to find!

Best deal? A Hamilton 992B in a model #15 case. It was new old stock in the original box for $250.00!

David Johnson aka "Doc"
NAWCC Member #155016
IHC Member #169
HisLove1Me! (just ask!)

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
By the way, Stephanie, forgive me for not extending a welcome to chapter 185 as well. If you are hooked on watches like the rest of us, you will find this site to be fountain of horological information.

There are some fantastic people around the world that participate in this site and no one seems to have any desire to hold back information and education. Take advantage of it!

You've just got to keep your eye on that Lindell character. If you don't watch out, he'll have you hooked on this stuff with NO hope for escape! Big Grin Wink Razz

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
My best deal in a rare watch came at the 1999 Greater Los Angeles Regional. A clock seller had a small pile of watch junk at the end of his table where I found a 12-size 21-jewel Riverside Maximus hunting movement. It had a broken staff, yellowed crystal and a brassy open-face case - all for $10. A great deal, but rare? This was one of only about 200-350 made with this particular configuration (21j, htg. with a semi-bridge plate layout). Most of the hunting movements were 23j or 21j 3/4-plate. But I guess you have to be a 12-size fanatic to care about this distinction.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Thanks Lindell and "Doc" for the warm welcome in joining IHC 185. I'm thrilled about our site. Listen to me, I'm already saying our site. Ha! You will be seeing my name quite a bit as I will be participating in all sorts of discussions, etc. etc. I love to write about my passions in collecting so look for my articles under interesting horological stories. I just hope they will be intersting in your eyes.

This site is perfect for me. No kidding! I hope I can bring to this table valuable information and knowledge you do not already know. Fun is an understood word as I know I'll have just that; a lot of fun. What good is life without the fun huh?

Back to thread of rarest find/best deal in pocketwatches - Lindell, I was at our Regional last year and brought my find. A vendor offered $3,000. for the 992-S I described. Of course, I passed. Oh, the dial on this one is in prestine condition.

12 size watches are my favorite size. I'm not into 00, 0's or 6's; too small for my blood. And frankly, my eyes are not what they were when I was 20.

Lindell, your South-Bend Digital watch is FINE. I love it. I have no digital watches in my collection of yet but plan to change that! Thanks for sharing the pic of your great find. It's so unique too!. Stay tuned for a great story on a South-Bend watch! Hopefully in the the future I will be able to submit pictures for our members to enjoy. It's nice to read stories but "pictures". I'll leave it at that!

Since we are talking of other collections, I collect coin as well; particularly something called "silver art bars".
If you are interested in learning about silver art bars, and reading my articles on the subject,
go to Eek: http://www.iasac.starfam.us
I am Club Historian for a club called IASAC (International Association of Silver Art Collectors) While there, feel free to sign our guest book. You will be able to read and see what a silver art bar is all about! Who knows, you may even want to join our club! Cool

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC #0143979
Local Creole #43 member

posted
Lucky Finds

I have two tales to tell. I received a call from a person unknown to me asking if if I bought watches. I went to see a group of 12 watches of medium to low grade. However the 13th watch was a private label 14K hunting cased Illinois 179. Two tone damascening, in really good condtion. Bought them all and sold the other 12 for more than I paid for the 13.

I bought a group of watches from an elderly and retiring jeweler. He added another watch as a free throw in. It was a South Bend 294. Not bad.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Great stories!

For those who don't recognize Jerry's reference to a South-Bend 294 it is very desirable. Only 1,500 serial numbers were blocked and we're not sure how many were actually produced. The 21-jewel 5 position 294 was their highest grade Hunter-Cased 16-size watch and is fully RR grade.

The Open-Faced equivalent was the 295 and there as well 1,500 were blocked from which about 500 of the highly coveted South-Bend Polaris were made. No serious South-Bend collector could be without a 294 and I can tell you Jerry had quite a stroke of good fortune.

I could "show-and-tell" South-Bend Watches all day long, so don't get me started.

South-Bend grade 294 from about 1907...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Fancy Dial, matching gold hands set it off...

posted
Thanks Lindell for getting out the digital camera so we can look at and enjoy the South-Bend 294. She's a beauty! After looking at the watch, I just had to pull my Cooksey/Shugart guidebook out and look it up. Wow! **(two stars) That sure was a lucky find! Razz

Stephanie