Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ELINVAR in a Model #4 case? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
I have a Hamilton 992E 1st run, # 2581109 in a 14K white gold Rigid bow case #4. The case # is 475338.

I was wondering if that is the right case for this movement. There are no other case screw marks on the case at all, not that that really means anything I guess.

Thank you for any and all help.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Larry, your movement has a production date of the early 30's, (1930-1931) and the #4 Rigid Bow case was first produced in 1927 so the case predates the movement 2-3 years....

Now, since I am not one of our resident Hamilton experts or any other as far as that goes....I think that your movement, possibly, came in the case it is in now because the case is a couple of years older than the movement....The cases were available when your movement was produced....

Maybe others will have a different opinion, let's see....

Best Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Jerry, I was kind of thinking the same thing, and it really looks like that is the only movement that has been it it.

I'm not really sure how long they made thst case, but I know that it was not to long, and I do know that Hamilton did put a few 950 movements in it, so who knows?

We'll see from someone, I'm sure.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
My First run 992 E serial. It is also a Model 4 White gold filled
# 2582929 case # 493564

Yours is # 2581109 case # 475338

I believe my is also original to the 992E

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Case

IHC Life Member
posted
Marked Hamilton

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
The Case Model 4 didn't last long, but IMHO it would still have been available for an early 992-Elinvar in 1930-1931 production. Remember, they never threw away ANYTHING!

Here it is in the 1929 Hamilton Catalog

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Well I feel a little better now Gene!

Ed, was it around three years that they lasted?

Regards,
Lary

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Yeah, something like that, until they used up the inventory on hand.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Larry they are showing the 950 as being sold as uncased watch 1933. Here is the link that shows IT.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Wait a minute Gene, they showed a picture of the movement, but all they talked about selling was cased watches, in a #2 or #8 case, no price was quoted for an uncased movement (see picture).

Partial Page 9 of 1933 Hamilton Catalog

IHC Life Member
posted
Ed Page 17 of 28 is a Dealers catalog that shows it. I will try to post the page.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here it is. 1933 Catolog.

IHC Life Member
posted
In 1928 they are showing a Case 950. For those that are woundering where we are getting this info there is a link started down in Hamilton section. Here is a link that will get you up to speed.

Link