Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dont see to many of these "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I found this one on fleebay and had to have it. I am a sucker for a three finger bridge and the Convertible is a cherry ontop of it. How does one go about changing one of these from an open to a hunter.. Just curious

Bruce Byrd

Elgin Conv.

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
I like convertibles about the best of all American watches. Yours is a second model, Grade 86, 15 jewels. The open-to-hunting shift is slick. With the mainspring down, take off the flat spring that holds down the winding wheel, and then take off the barrel bridge. You'll see a stem and a heavy pinion which is on the steel pin protruding through the barrel bridge. Move the stem and pinion to the other side of the bridge, and put the bridge and spring back on. That's it. Watch out for the screw that holds the flat spring; it's undersize and it's very easy to strip the hole it's in.

Joe Jones

Posts: 47 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA | Registered: April 24, 2006
posted
Hi Bruce

Very nice watch-I have a model 86 also, although with a different damaskeening pattern. John Duval has a nice illustrated tutorial on changing these around in the technical section Elgin Convertible Tutorial

Norman Bliss

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005