Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What's in a number - Elgin 18s grade 27 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1691
posted
I picked up a watch movement recently after my interest was piqued by the serial number of the movement, and it was advertised as "last of".

Now, it seems to be the last of the BW Raymond grade 27's, which as far as I can tell was the first BWR class, a hunting case model, and the last 18 size full plate hunter BWR. All this info is derived from the table of grades of movements from the big book.

We all know that the first in a series is going to be valuable, but any value in the last (7020000)?

A few pics to follow...

Regards

Peter in Oz

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
IHC Member 1691
posted
Not too much to look at really...

IHC Member 1691
posted
The all important number...

IHC Member 1555
posted
I do not think the last serial in a production run will improve value Peter, as I don't think the first does either (IMHO). If it was the first or last serial from the very first run of a particular watch grade it might increase monetary value maybe. The collector value for a particular watch that an individual has purchased for a collection might make it more precious to some but thats is about all.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It is noted as "RR" grade by Ehrhardt, who also confirms your s/n is the last in grade for that. Some more research may back up this being the last RR Grade HUNTER BWR as well which would add collectible value to it. With an 1897 production date, all of this is possible.

Best thing to do is try to find a nice Hunter Case for it, and after service and a better second hand, use it or show it for what it is.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1691
posted
Thanks all for the replies.

Coincidentally second hands arrived the day before from RVJ, and a nice Dueber case is on the way.

The plan is to restore and wear it and it makes an interesting conversation piece. $150 all up for a railroad movement and case seemed like a good punt at the time.

Movement needs some work, but I have another I can swap parts out from.

Regards

Peter, also the last of my line...