Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this case 18 carat or gold filled? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 708
posted
Hi everybody,

I have a Waltham Vanguard 21 Jewel serial #1107049. the case # is 59070 B.W.C.Co warranted 18k. It has what loks like fancy E in the inside of the dust cover. Chris Abell did a fantastic job cleaning it up. I did a lesser job on the photos. Is this case solid gold? The insription reads: To M. Gray from Father August 8th, 1879. I wrote a previous post on this watch but I now know thanks to Chris that the movement was not original to the case. It is I believe some 20 years newer. Please view my attemy at photos below. Is this watch solid gold? I am thinking about selling it here at IHC185. What would the approximate value be?

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
IHC Member 708
posted
Here is the front of the case. It is a lever set hunter.

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
IHC Member 708
posted
Here is the back

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
Here is the dial

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
Here is the inside of the front of the case

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Steven,the picture we need is the Warranted 18k Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 708
posted
Whoops that was the inscription! Here is the inside if the dust cover

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
Here is the inside of the front cover

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
Here is the fancy E

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I would say from the mark, and the look, for sure 18k gold Wink Easier to be 100% sure with watch in hand

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 708
posted
Finally here is the movement. thanks in advance for your help. this is a great group to be a mamber of.

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Steve,nice Vanguard!As Tom said,looks like a solid gold case.Also, if it were gold filled, it would be marked 20 or 25 years, and most likely 14 instead of 18K.I've never heard of an 18K G.F. case,but maybe they were made.Take care, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Looks like probably the Brooklyn Watch Case Company. Yes, I believe it is probably 18K judging from the solid gold case logos seen on page 35 of the "Complete Guide". HOWEVER, this company was involved in some fraud pertaining to gold watch cases. Google this company, and you should find some discussion about it.

The "E" might have been an owners way of identifying his watch case. Maybe his name was 'Eddie'. Wink

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks Ted and Mike,

I already googled it and i am aware of the fraud. this is one reason I was asking. Thanks to Chris it is a very nice watch. Please keep responding.

Steve

Steve Cohen

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Steven, I am not at all sure if it is or is not solid gold....

If I were to bet one way or the other, I would bet it is not, simply because the hallmark does not resemble the hallmarks shown in the price guide mainly because it does not say U.S. Assay....

I certainly am not an expert and I would like to hear what our other members have to say and their reasoning....

I do hope that it proves to be solid 18k gold....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 708
posted
First Tom I did not initially see your post. Thanks alot. Jerry, I hope it is gold also. This why I'm asking because it is so confusing. I await more responses. Thanks Again to everyone.

Steve Cohen

posted
Absolutely 18K solid, I have had many of these. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks Geno, I would like to know the value of the watch and case to determine what I want to do with it.

Steve Cohen

posted
Steven, the movement is probably worth $200-$250. The case, and I know this is not popular, is horribly worn and I doubt anybody would want it for more than the scrap value. So you would have to take the movement out and all the steel and springs to determine the actual gold content. Just guessing there probably is at least $2000 in the case and probably more. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks Geno, Quite an investment for $450.00. $2000.00 sounds great to me. The case is somewhat worn but my photos probably make it worse than it is. I know this watch sat in a safety deposit box for years before i bought it.

Thanks Again,

Steve

Steve Cohen