• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Two cheap $130 watches, one Hampden one Elgin "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have noticed that prices have been picking up in the watch market and in more than a few cases you wonder what the facination is that has driven the price on some so high.

Below is a working Hampden 21j model 5 New Railway, while not in pristine condition it is in running condition in a good silveroid swing out case. The dial has two defects, one around the 12 and one around the seconds bit and has some scratches on the movement and probably some mis-matched hold down screws but overall a decent grade that was only made in about 6,600 units.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Here is the second one that I picked up at a near identical price. This is a grade 391 with a broken staff but otherwise a very nice looking movement. The grade 391 was made in about 9000 units but normally it is marked BW Raymond and not Father Time so from what I have seen a lot less than 50/50 name split are marked Father Time.

The dial has a defect around the 4 along with an edge chip near the 7 and the case has some minor brassing on the case back on the bottom shoulder area but the bezel is brass free and the ring is in good condition. I quickly tossed the yellowed crystal to save the hands from any future damage.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Both are nice looking Claude....My 391 Elgin is one of those marked B W Raymond and is sn-16374889 which makes it a 1911 production date....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
I normally don't double up on the same grade unless there were limited runs and I want to get one from each run but in this case these are high grade watches so for the price it was worth doubling up.

I cleaned the cases on both, the silveroid needed some tlc in the way of tapping out some dents and some sanding/polishing to get it back into shape. On the Elgin I am not sure where they stored it but it certainly was not in a sock drawer since it had some type of gunk on it that cleaned up well.

Some of my pristine watches I don't like to wear but in the case of these two I would not have problem wearing either. I will end up getting a COA on both and a staff replaced on the Elgin since they deserved at least a bit of love.

posted
Claude,

Watch prices will continue to climb on low to medium value watches as large hoards of them being sold off on ebay and public auctions seem to be slowing down. IMHO, those hoards of watches are being wound down, and the old brassy GF and some good GF cases have been melted down and removed from supply.

Just 1-2 years ago you could buy a basic 18s 15j Elgin in a GF case for 35-45$ on ebay. Now they are 60-80$ because of the GF case.

Plus, some of the folks buying up all the GF cases, just throw the movements in a pile and focus on recovering the gold.

Less GF cases daily, makes me think the value of those old clunky cannot-kill-me silverode cases will only gain in value, too. Probably a slow steady climb in value.

So, as long as gold stays above 1200$ oz, PWs should hold or rise in value. However, there are no 100% deals in life, but death and taxes, eh?

Nice picks for 130s

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
posted
Here is my 391 BWR, John I agree on the silveroid cases I have been picking them up when I can just as some stock to work with.

I started picking up more than my share when people were dumping their collections in 2008-2010. I figured I would do the reverse, buy low and hang on for the market to recover which appears to be happening.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Good deals Claude!I noticed something on the New Railway.Looks like a plain brass center wheel in that one.Mine has gold round arm train wheels, but it is a little earlier # 3326935.Maybe they changed on those "late model" ones....Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Ted you are correct, some watches have had a well cared for life and some exposed to hacks and whacks. Either the upper two gears were damaged or they were just swapped out, the lower one is round armed and correct. It also has 2-3 incorrect hold down screws.

Below is the same model, slightly later serial number and it has the correct round spoked gears.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Claude your New Railway is one of my favorite 16s Hampdens and as you know fairly scarce. I have several of them and looking at early and late serial numbers I do not believe they ever made any with brass center wheels. As a curious Hampden and Illinois collector, I matched my 21j Bunn against my 21 Jewel New Railway and they are both excellent runners and equal in keeping time, but the damasceening on the Hampden is more attractive in my opinion. Both fine watches but the Bunn is quite common and more expensive! I am currently looking for good silverode cases as I too believe they are good value for the money and will not go to the scrappers unless nickle goes up!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
The first New Railway at the price was a good buy but nowhere as nice as the second one that I posted, the 2nd one is pristine, case, movement, dial and all the first one is a good buy at $130 and with a typical COA make a nice wear watch. Anymore with gold cases getting as expensive and in short supply it is a shame to take a very good to pristine example and "wear" it. In a silveroid style case one would have to really work at messing a case up.

I keep my eyes out for the even more rare 16s Special Railway 23j but those are like unicorns, I have the model 4 104 but I would like to get a matched set New Railway 21j and a Special Railway 23j since they share a lot of the looks and features and are very fine watches.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Claude, I don't know if you have one yet, but the 19J model 5 Railway is another really nice Hampden RR, has the same huge fancy gold setting on the ratchet wheel as the 23J Sp'l. Railway and 104.I dream of having a set of these 5th. models, but the 23J ones are way out of reach.I have the Railway, New Railway, 105 and McKinley so far.I like them better than the bridge 4th models.I think you and Deacon are right on about those silveroid cases, I doubt you could ever wear one out, and nobody would mug you for one either!...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008