Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden 2 different Views "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I thought this image was different than the ones I have seen. Kinda neet huh?

Looks Bigger to me.

Sheila

1DHampton

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
This is the one from 1913

Different.

Sheila

D H Employees 1913

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great images Sheila!

The Dueber-Hamphen facility in Canton, Ohio with it's twin watch case and watch movement factory buildings was quite a unique enterprise. Their products are often underrated and therefore undervalued in my opinion. They produced many highly desirable and truly worthwhile watches.

We'd all like to know more about both of your images. A large panoramic view like your second one surfaced at a Chapter 10 Meeting in Fairlawn, Ohio a couple years ago. I should point out that Fairlawn is just north of the Akron-Canton area and that meeting is attended by many Dueber-Hampden collectors. Our own Ralph Rehner bought the panorama and had it correctly preserved with acid-free mat and paper.

Perhaps Ralph will have a few moments to share that wonderful piece of history with all of us.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Lindell,
I find a lot of pictures at the Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs site, and sometimes at the Natl. Archives.

There's one of the Elgin Watch Co (Wide view) at the Library site too, and I have the wide angle one, of the Elgin Co. that I purchased, it's a nice one.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/pphome.html

I have a few pictures that I think are really nice and will post them here.

Sheila

posted
Elgin

Sheila

Elgin Factoryw

posted
Making holes in plates at the Elgin Plant

Sheila

Elgin-holes1web

posted
Saving Daylight

Sheila

Saving Daylight

posted
Italian Watch Shop

Sheila

Italian Watch Shop2web

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Sheila,
Your panoramic picture of the Dueber Hampden Watch Co. is quite a conversation piece. Most people do not comprehend it's size in true life.
Many tales and stories about this picture are told down Canton way by people whose ancestors worked for Dueber. As far as my picture goes, it has been authenticated as one of the few originals produced and originally hung in one of the Post Offices in Caton,Ohio. One of the interesting legends is that there was not as many people working at the factory as shown in the picture. The massive fish eye lense used along with the lenghty times required to take the panorama allowed people to move over and be photographed again. The wife and I spent an entire evening staring at the picture looking for the same persons. Drove our eyes crazy.

The lady that restored and preserved this picture went wild when I first brought it in. White gloves were put on and every staple etc. was carefully removed and saved. The photograph itself was delicately cleaned, the original glass polished, and the tiger wood finish oiled. Acid free mating with rice paper backing was then added along with a heavy duty cable hanging system. Took about 4 months to get it back, and well worth the wait. It is dated Sept.11th 1913 and measures 14 inches high by 5 feet long. It now hangs in my watch shop along the inner wall where sunlight doesn't hit.......Enjoy

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
posted
Ralph,
You have one Wonderful Picture there! I'm green with envy. Your image is even earlier than the one at the Library of Congress, yours is dated Sept. 11th 1913 and the one there is listed as Sept. 20th 1913.
I believe that the controversy over the picture comes from what is listed with the photo at the Library, which states that the same man is at both ends of the photo, but I sure can't see it.
I have made this picture larger and studied it too, and I see no doubles either.
I had no idea there was anyone that even talked about this picture, so this information is so weird to read here!! I had been fixated by these views long ago, and it's great to get more information about it.

Thank you for sharing your information with us.

(and for restoring a piece of history)

Sheila

posted
I always liked this picture too. It's at 5th Ave in New York.

Sheila

5th Ave Clock

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Clocks on the wall are C&J "Cornice Column", Seth Thomas "Nashville", and finally a clock that Tom Seymour and I jointly restored..Ingraham "Arch Column". The little mirror on the shelf in front is a New Haven car clock. Small pictures below are Ball Watch Co. and a ballon shot of Dueber Hampden taken long before the big picture. Kinda neat that Ball Watch Co. once stood about 20 miles North from where I live and Dueber about 20 miles South. The old timers tell me that one of the old Dueber machine tool shacks still stands. I plan on hunting for this structure next spring and hopefully getting a picture.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
posted
Ralph,

Funny, I was thinking I would have one of these in a minute, even if I had to build a room for it Eek Big Grin

I love your clocks, and I sure would love to see pictures of that Dueber machine tool shack, if you can find it next spring. Wouldn't that be just Fantastic! "Photo History Gems" are great finds. Especially when you find them yourself.

Sheila