• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My Elgin 361-360-350 triplets. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I finally finished this family up since all 3 were only made in one run of 1000.

This combination I think has not been victim to swapping since the case shows no extra screw marks and the dial has one slight chigger bite that I repaired around the seconds bit. I have had this watch since about 2001, the case looks even better in person.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
The Veritas 360- this one I think is original, the owner said it had been in a safe for some time and it had belonged to his grandfather (likely story) but it does not have any extra screw marks that I can find and needed to be cleaned so the story might be correct.

posted
The Veritas 350 23j

This one I can say absolutely it has been swapped out. This movement originally had a near mint 14K white gold filled top hat Elgin case that would have been sold during the grade 494 and 506 time frame and definitely not in the early 1900s. The dial was the style found on the 478s prior to the star dial, everything was near mint just not time correct. I tried to make the look more period correct for the dial and case which is a nice 14K green gold case.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Three beauties Claude,

I'd call them nice, nicer and even nicer yet! Look up the meaning of "beautiful movement" and that Veritas should be looking Eek back at you.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Wow, they are all beautiful. Great finds

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
I am very happy with the Veritas models, especially the 350 since it is keeping RR time currently and I do not have a clue when it was last serviced. The 350 is extremely clean, the 360 has some very tiny specs on the larger winding wheel but I paid less than $300 for the 360 in a very nice coin edge gold case with no brass.

I think the 350 looks a lot better and more correct than did when I purchased it.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Claude they are beautiful and that green gold case is an outstanding example of a relatively hard to find color.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Great looking watches.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Thanks guys I was hoping to finish the 350 so that people feel it was correct, without my nose growing drastically I can't say that all is original but at least it looks period correct.

The dial is almost identical to the 360 with the exception the 350's is a true Montgomery dial and the 360's isn't but the letter and numbering style is identical along with being a correct double sunk. I thought the 350 deserved a comparable case so I went with the 14K gf green gold case the pendent length is about the same as the case the 361 is in so I figured that would be ok and much better than the Elgin "Top Hat" case even though the Top Hat case is a nice looking white gold case which you don't see a lot of it just wasn't right.

I hope to use the Top Hat on a 506 or 540 one of these days since they are fairly low production movements.

Sometimes at best you can correct the wrong swapping and at least make them look original even though they aren't