WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need help with identifying this watch/ Harward special "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Need some help identifying this watch , it was part of a 40 watch collection i received. It has a gorgeous dial and is marked harward special on the dial and the movement. it also says "JR Sheaffer and son . Bloomfield illinois. If anybody knows anything about this watch please let me know. I am also open to offers or it will go on the auction soon.Thanks!!!!

Posts: 32 | Location: Washington State in the USA | Registered: April 30, 2014
posted
its missing second hand, but runs perfect

posted
movement

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Kevin,
This is a nice 1903 Hamilton Private label 926.

Grade: 926

Movement Serial Number:294413
To Finishing Dept: Dec 4, 1903
Run Quantity: 1,000
Total Production: 82,406
Size: 18s
Jewels: 17j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Movement Finish: Nickel
Model: 1
Movement Setting: Lever
Plate: Full Plate
Regulator: Micrometer
Adjusted: Yes
Adjusted to Positions: Unknown
Adjusted to Temperature: Yes
Railroad Grade: No

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Thanks Dave, The part about the movement i did know, im interested in the private label part.Do you know what Harward special means or who jr shaffer and sons are? how many of these watches are around.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Sorry Kevin,

I'm sure others here might find something for you.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Walter, the Sheaffer Pen Sheaffer was the son of a J.R. Sheaffer.

Assuming of course this is the right J.R. as I didn't read much further than the above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_A._Sheaffer

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
There was a jeweler in Bloomfield Iowa by the name of Jacob R. Sheaffer. According to census records he was born about 1838 in Ohio. The earliest I find him listed in Bloomfield is 1870. He is still listed in 1910.

He did have a son Walter so it looks like the same family that Lorne listed.

Also there was a family in Bloomfield Iowa with the last name of Harward, one was a Charles Harward who has a dry good store in 1870.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom is right. J. R. was the Father to Walter Sheaffer. Walter became famous for the Sheaffer fountain pens.

Jacob Royer (J.R.) had a tough time but came back from bankruptcy and established 2 jewelry stores in Iowa. You can read a lengthy biography of the Sheaffers at the following URL:

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/S...20of%20sheaffer.html

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
wow!!! thanks for the info. Anybody have a idea on the value?

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Times are tough right now in the watch market and money seems to be scarcer !!

Personal label watches on the average tend to bring less than a regular issued company watch such as a Hamilton Special would be much more desirable than a Harward Special. There is no way to know how many Harward Special's were ordered and made like yours with the exact same markings on the dial & movement perhaps 10, perhaps 100, perhaps more..... Only a small or limited group of dedicated collectors show an interest in personal label watches.

If the dial has no hairline cracks in the porcelain and the watch keeps good time I would say at auction it would be a $200-500 watch today depending on bidding interest. If the dial has even one hairline crack then the price drops and would be cut in half.

Since private label watches were a form of "free" advertising for jewelers and such I would venture to guess that the Sheaffer's & Harward's may have been business associates as they were from the same small town it appears in Iowa thanks to Tom Brown's research. The town and farming community today encompasses 2.28 square miles and has a population of 2,640 people in the southeastern edge of Iowa near the Missouri border.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Kevin-

As buster said, I would value it at around $200-500 mattering if there are any cracksin the dial or not. I bought one recently last fall of the same only in a little harder grade (929) wiht a mint dial. I paid just over $500 to get it. I grew up in Iowa so I have a want for any private labels from the state Wink

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Here's the dial on mine.

posted
and movement. Fairly similar pattern to the lettering.

posted
The Harward special came with numerous designs/colors. These are beat all to heck, but if anyone is interested in the history of the firm, they are yours.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010