• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Brodnax by Elgin "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I usually do not collect 12s unless there is something unusual about them.
I found this one interesting due to the private label, the fancy pendant bow and the fact that Elgin downgraded the jeweled barrel by fitting a metal bushing in place of the jewel.

It is a 17 jewels s/n 8189662 (1899).
The dial says "Brodnax Special Watch, Memphis, Tenn."
The case is quite worn, the glass need replacing but the movement works very well.

I thought it may be of some interest.
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
This is a Elgin grade 192, only 6000 made, and the jeweling on the barrel is very similiar to the 16 size grade 370.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice little Elgin Peter...I'm pretty sure that Brodnax was a catalog order jeweler.I have a pretty similar hunting version movement, mine is a 17J grade 188, supposed to have been the first Elgin with a motor barrel,if I'm remembering right.I found that on Wayne's Elgin site, which seems to be no more.As Claude said before, it would be nice to have an Elgin section here.Take care, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Claude and Theodore, thank you for your comments, I too miss Wayne's Elgin site. I was hoping to find more informations on the Brodnax private label from some of our knowledgeable members, I haven't given up hope yet.
Regards, Peter

posted
What is a watch with a "Memphis Tennessee" dial signature doing in Italy?! Ha! Tennessee labels don't seem to be very common even in the USA.

Had I seen it, I would have bought that watch too, Peter. Nice moustache balance lever.
Mike (in Tennessee)

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Peter, If you have any of Roy Ehrhardt's price guide books, in American Pocket Watch ID &Price Guide Book 2, pgs. 37-9 are from a 1924 Geo. T. Brodnax, Inc. Gold and Silversmiths catalog.Shows Elgin, Hamilton, Illinois, Waltham and Patek-Philippe watches....Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
HI Mike, what can I tell you...it's a small world, after all!

Ted,I have some of Ehrhardt's books, including the.."beginning to end...1830-1990" but I'm unfortunately missing the Book 2 and I found no reference to Brodnax in any of the others.
From Google I only found out it is a small town in Virginia. I will do some more research when I have time. Thank you for your help.
Peter