Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pocket Watch Boxes "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Could someone tell me if Hamilton, Waltham & Elgin used blue cardboard boxes to put their watches in, I have seen the Hamilton Bakelite boxes but I wondered about the cardboard ones.

Like everything else, are there reproduction ones out there to watch out for.

Thanks
Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Tom,

Each of the companies issued gift boxes with their watches.

There were many different versions over the years. If we were to try and show everything from all the different makes it would go into hundreds and hundreds of examples. The best way to determine if one you find is genuine would be to show us a picture in this topic.

Using Hamilton as an example, they began issuing boxes early in the Twentieth Century and changed designs many, many times. There were different designs and variations every few years. Below, I'll post a couple of Hamilton designs to help illustrate my point.

Lindell

One style of 1930s inner and outer boxes...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Another style used in the 1940s and 1950s...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell

Thanks for the info., I don't have photos of the ones I was asking about, I had just heard of them being for sale but I wan't sure if they were orginal or not. I had search the IHC185 for photos but most of the info I found were for ebay links that are expired.

I will see if I can get any photos.

Thanks again!

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Theres the Dollar Watch Boxes . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Then I have a nifty "Gold Medal" Paper, cardboard and wood box from Waltham . . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Waltham even has little "feets" on each corner! Eek

Picture of Jon Harting
posted
I just have to add my new Autocrat in it's box (thanks Lindell).

Jon

Posts: 228 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: March 04, 2008